DjangoBooks.com

What's the best new GJ guitar in 2012 / order a JP Favino guitar

Hi musicians
In Your Opinion,What's the best new gypsy guitar in 2012 ?

Regards

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wow. What I'd give for a budget like that!

Where are you located? What kind of sound are you looking for, traditional or modern (or put another way, dry vs. more complex)?

If you're after an authentic Selmer-like sound, for that kind of money, you are pretty close to the price for a Dupont Vieille Reserve, one of the very best Selmer copies made today:
    http://www.acoustic-guitars.com/guitares-jazz-manouche-vieille-reserve_Eng.php

The Indian rosewood model lists on the Dupont site at €6000, and the more desirable Brazilian one is €6800.

Michael Horowitz often has one for sale here at Djangobooks., such as:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/guitars/2012-dupont-vieille-reserve-brazilian--dupont-vieille-reserve-2012.html

There are certainly a lot of other fine builders, and you don't even necessarily have to spend that much money, but if you can, more power to you!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    how much would a barault cost? (provided you could find it)
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Really depends on what sound you want. In that price range just about anything would be very good.

As Benny said the Dupont VRB is your best bet for a traditional Selmer like sound. The Vieille Reserve is consistently one of my favorite guitars. It has a gorgeous tone with shimmery highs and dry, crunchy mids. Always plays great and looks incredible.

Barault is very good for more of an early Selmer type sound...his guitars are a bit more open sounding with more rounded highs and thicker mids. Very much like Django's 503.

I also like Lebreton a lot...I've just had one but it was very, very good. Finely balanced and unusually rich in tone while still having a lot of volume.

Bob Holo's guitars are one of the few that have the same "wow" factor as a vintage instrument. He's somehow found a way to make new guitars do some of the things the old ones do (shimmery highs, outstanding projection, tight bass, etc.) He has several different models that range from more traditional Busato/Selmer to more modern type sounds. The only problem is finding one for sale as I only get a few a year.

For a more modern, Gypsy bop sort of guitar Hahl is the best. He does a great job of blending the balance and playability of an archtop with the projection and tone of a Gypsy guitar. La fee also makes a nice modern design that is very rich sounding and easy to play.

Hope that helps!

M
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hard to beat JP Favino. His work is awesome. Get one while you can....
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • TooheyToohey New
    I think you hit a point where it all depends on which awesome type of guitar tone and playability you prefer...barault, Hahl, DuPont vr,favino,busato, holo, ajl, boonstra, all can be within $9000 and amazing...
  • Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014 Posts: 48
    Please first excuse me for my bad english .

i want to order this guitar to my friend address in london.
    - is it better to buy this from usa or france?
    - how much money will the customs get to release, if it is bought from usa?
    - will the uk government get any customs duties if it is bought from france?

... What's your opinion about this one,
    DUPONT (2010) VRB model € 5,400
    http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/PhotosInst ... RB.10.html

thanks
  • englishjanetenglishjanet NetherlandsNew
    I've got a Leo Eimers Antique finish ...a fantastic guitar and he makes them exactly how you would like!

Janet
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Mehran s wrote:
    Please first excuse me for my bad english .

i want to order this guitar to my friend address in london.
    - is it better to buy this from usa or france?
    - how much money will the customs get to release, if it is bought from usa?
    - will the uk government get any customs duties if it is bought from france?

... What's your opinion about this one,
    DUPONT (2010) VRB model € 5,400
    http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/PhotosInst ... RB.10.html

thanks
    Your English is fine, no need to apologize.

As I understand it, if you have an item shipped to the UK, what you pay will depend on its origin:
    - If it comes from an EU country, and you paid the VAT in that country, you will not be charged UK VAT.
    - If it comes from a non-EU country (such as the US), you will be charged VAT of 20%.

I believe the basic duty (a separate charge) on guitars is 3.2% and will only be charged for one coming from outside the EU.

Someone else may have better information than this, but I believe this to be accurate.

Djangobooks often offers items at better prices than local dealers, even with shipping factored in. Shipping from DB should be about US$200.

That Dupont at R.F.Charle's shop is a beauty, and as mentioned before, you can't do better if you're looking for a classic Selmer sound. Francois is a very reputable dealer. If you're interested, try making a lower offer. It can't hurt to try.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    That sounds about right. I've never paid import duty on something coming from Europe, but i do regularly pay when getting things from the USA.
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    I'm with Stringwinger -- JP Favino's guitars are just amazing, and amongst the most responsive instruments you're likely to find. I'm not sure what his wait list is like these days, or even his prices for that matter, but his work is second to none. Growing up in his father's studio, he's probably spent more time on these guitars than anyone out there, and it shows. His guitars are really dynamic -- depending on your technique, they can purr like a cat or bark like an angry dog. They really sing.

But , if you're based in London, you owe it to yourself to check out Godefroy Maruejouls.