DjangoBooks.com

Finding a handmade gem in the low $2k range - is it possible

I'm looking to sell my collection of gear and use it to buy one great guitar in the low-mid $2k range. I could get some phenomenal Eastman guitars, but I'm not sure if that'd give me the sound I was looking for - worst thing would be to spent that much money on an instrument and not have it be stellar at what you primarily do, hah. I've been taking a look at some custom luthiers in this thread but it seems like they're all in the mid 3k or higher range...
I'd be buying in the summer, so I was thinking maybe I could find something at Django in June (are there vendors there? It'll be my first time going). What do you think?
I also tried looking for used guitars in the Montreal and NYC areas but didn't see much.

Comments

• fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    I can't speak to any of the new gjs out there but, there are definitely some gems to be found on the secondary and vintage markets. I got both a Castelluccia and Anastasio on ebay for well under 2k and they are both great guitars.
    ach mishto
  • If this is still available, snatch it up. I have a petit bouche. Once I adjusted the action to about 3mm, it became absolutely perfect. Handmade and Z's guitars usually have the features reserved for $$$ guitars. All of the other owners of Zwinakis' guitars on this forum will probably say the same thing.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10064
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    I'd prefer a petite bouche, but if that's still around when I'm ready to buy I'll definitely consider it. Thank you!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Dupont Nomade is hugely popular in this price range...there's nothing even close as under $2K you're mostly looking at Asian made stuff or pretty beat up handmades. They play and sound just like the high end models...just stripped down to keep the price low. They have the classic dry, singing Dupont tone and you can get the action really low as well.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    If you're not in a hurry, the "Mystery Guitars" show up from time to time, usually in oval hole. They're by Peter Zwinakis, sort of a "factory second" (except they're handmade) due to some cosmetic or other minor issue, but very fine instruments at a low cost, usually around $2K.

Eastman guitars are excellent instruments, but you will not get a gypsy sound out of any archtop, and you will get buried in jam sessions by the gypsy guitars.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • yuaaa680yuaaa680
    Hi,
    You may want to check out JWC guitars too. Just got mine (14 fret D) last month. Loving it, nice warm balance sound. To find out more about their guitars and the luthier, here's a link to their website. http://www.jwc-guitars.com/ Good luck :)
  • klaatu wrote:
    If you're not in a hurry, the "Mystery Guitars" show up from time to time, usually in oval hole. They're by Peter Zwinakis, sort of a "factory second" (except they're handmade) due to some cosmetic or other minor issue, but very fine instruments at a low cost, usually around $2K.

Eastman guitars are excellent instruments, but you will not get a gypsy sound out of any archtop, and you will get buried in jam sessions by the gypsy guitars.

Yup. The Mystery Guitars are what I was referring to. I bought one this past summer and it is pretty great. The one being offered up for in the Used forum (not mine) is a D hole. That's a relatively nice price.
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    I bought my Peter Z and had it shipped for that price range. Wonderful guitar - get quite a few compliments about its playability and bark.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9476&p=49066&hilit=+peter#p49066

There were just recently what felt like a ton of guitars for sale on the site here.
  • KalebimaKalebima New
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    I bought my Peter Z and had it shipped for that price range. Wonderful guitar - get quite a few compliments about its playability and bark.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9476&p=49066&hilit=+peter#p49066

There were just recently what felt like a ton of guitars for sale on the site here.

Man that is one nice guitar you have there...exactly what I'd love to have, right down to the sound port! Let's hope one of them stumbles across my path one of these days :)
  • patterrypatterry SLC, UT✭✭ Dupont VRB
    I recommend D'aigle Guitars.