DjangoBooks.com

Wich cheap GJ guitar to get

Hello guys

I want a Petit bouche GJ guitar but i dont have allot of money atm.
i already know allot of chords and can play GJ rhytem so im not a beginner or something just want a OK solo guitar for a little bit of money, i can only spend like 450 euro thats the downpart of this whole story but just cant efford more atm.
did some research on the net and came across these models.
(P.S im from europe , so dont want to buy a guitar outside europe)

guitars with price ranges:

Aria MM20 NEW € 195
Cigano GJ-10 NEW € 400
Cigano GJ-0 NEW € 400
Richwood Hot Club Jazz € 160
Gitane Models Second hand € 450 ~ 600

i saw this second hand Gitane D250+ soft case and wegen picks but i guess that person means Gitane DG250 its the one with the solid top highest bid on this guitar is 450 euro and this seems like a good option but dont know if this guitar is better than any of the other listed guitars with pro setup.

i read allot of storys about these guitars that they are bad / good and things about pro setup etc.
but dont really know wich brand and model to get
just have the 450 euros cant spend more.
help me out please ?

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited February 2012 Posts: 1,002
    There are a number of posts on this topic if you search for them, but in a nutshell. A used Gitane or a solid top Cigano would be your best bets in the low range. I have to say the maple Gitanes can be really good. If you can make the price a used Gitane Jorgenson Model DG-300 would be your best bet overall. They are pretty consistently good.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • +1 on michaels suggestion
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yep, what Michael said. The solid top Cigano os a pretty decent guitar for the price. Stay away from the Aria. Secondhand DG300s would be an excellent option.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I know I lucked out, but +1 on the DG 300 auctions, which can be found. I got mine, shipped, for $500 (as memory serves). The guy had it sitting in his store for a couple years, a store that didn't deal in GJ guitars. With a Dupont bridge and good setup, I'm really pleased with the guitar.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • W.BW.B New
    Thanks for the reply's guys

so got 2 options left then.

1) Buy a new Cigano GJ-10 for € 459,00 (without good setup straight from box)
    2) Buy second hand a Gitane John Jorgenson signature model incl.hard case BIN € 800,00 or best offer.

cant buy the cigano for any cheaper price over here and there are no second hand cigano's over here
    but there are 2 second hand gitane DG-300's for sale
    € 800 each. 1 with hardcase the other without hardcase.
    btw a new dg-300 is €1200 new here.

i will try and bid on these DG300's
    think its the best option for me.

thanks for the help !
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Excellent choice W.B.! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    you´ve might already chose another route, but you can get a cigano delivered to europe from Michael cheaper than buying it here.(edit: here in euope:) )

cheers,
    miguel.
  • dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    W.B wrote:
    i will try and bid on these DG300's
    think its the best option for me.
    I think you're right.

I was able to snag a very clean DG300 for $690US a year ago on ebay, and I can't really imagine getting a better gypsy guitar for that price.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree, dmin7th. I was really fortunate to get mine for $500 shipped (e-bay, too), if memory is correct. I know it's not a Dupont, but I do love my guitar, and the people who've played it (Alfonso Ponticelli, my teacher at the time, lots of jam buddies) have been generous in their appraisal of the thing. For the money, my admittedly biased nod would be to the DG-300.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    ABSOLUTELY Get a Cigano GJ 10 OVER a DG 300. I have a DG 300, and my new bandmate just got a cigano GJ10, which sounds AND plays better than the DG 300. It plays better mainly because of the 300's ridiculousness THICK neck. Teh GJ 10 has a nice players neck and It sounds a bit brighter.

If you're considering the DG 300, however, you should ALSO consider the Alta Mira M01. I have one, and it sounds really good for the price.

Cheers !