DjangoBooks.com

Converting ball-end to loop-end strings

I just bought a set of Newtone Django strings, not realising they were ball-end and my guitar (Gallato RS1939 Angelo Debarre oval model) only takes loop-end strings.

I managed to remove the ball from the top E and B strings, and unwind the ends a bit to make the loop wide enough to fit on the bridge pegs. However the wound G-string was much harder because of the protective thread, and while trying to remove this the ball end snapped off.

So I'm wondering if anyone's got any more clever method for using ball-end strings on loop-end only guitars? It would be such a shame not to be able to try out those Newtone strings, nor to be able to experiment with other brands of strings which mostly only come in ball-end variety.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Loop the string through the opening in the ball ?
    always learning
  • h_palmerh_palmer New
    did not think of that!
    is it stable? or sound altering?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I was thinking later, after my original post. I realise now it probably won't work as you probably wont get a tight enough loop or enough of an angle to keep the string on the post. Are you sure the posts aren't drilled with holes.

Might be eaiser to change the tailpiece to one that takes either.

Alan
    always learning
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Are you sure the posts aren't drilled with holes.
    I had one of those guitars, it also was not drilled for ball ends. However, I saw another one that was. Don't know why.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • h_palmerh_palmer New
    I was thinking later, after my original post. I realise now it probably won't work as you probably wont get a tight enough loop or enough of an angle to keep the string on the post. Are you sure the posts aren't drilled with holes.

Might be eaiser to change the tailpiece to one that takes either.

Alan

Tried passing the strings through the ball holes and it works!
    Not sure if it affects the sound, but these Newtone nickel Django strings are really bright and resonant, loads of overtones. Perhaps they're meant to be like that.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    In another post, I mentioned that I was getting a strange, non-musical harmonic distortion/vibration when I played a strong six string harmonic at the 12th fret. My luthier suggested that the sound was coming from the tailpiece, possibly because of inadequate felt padding which he is going to replace with leather, but also possibly because of vibration one or more of the ball ends of a string vibrating against the tailpiece someplace. He showed me the trick of removing the ball end, unwinding the string a bit to expand the loop, and then looping the string on to the tailpiece. Admittedly, he did this with the low E string, probably the easiest string to do this with. He wants to take a set of new strings and do the entire set for me in addition to replacing the felt under the tailpiece to complete his diagnosis of the nonmusical rattling distortion. (To be thorough, he also examined the inner portions of the guitar for any loose bracing.)

Does anyone do this kind of string modification on a regular basis? I think the loop ends of strings look better anyway because the ball end threading seems a little haphazard with ball pieces turned every which way and that. Also, some low E strings seem a little too thick near the ball end with the extra winding and it makes it difficult to pass through the drilled hole.

My examination of this forum appears to indicate that there seems to be no difference in tone between ball and loop end, but I am willing to open that can of worms again if it so pleases anyone.
  • A couple of times I hve had to use loops on a guitar with ball only posts. Run the string through as per normal for a ball end and thread it through the loop. Carefully pull tight. Worked for me.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed