DjangoBooks.com

dupont md 100 compared to md 50

Besides the materials and the finish, can anyone explain the differences if any between the Dupont md 100 and the md 50? Im talking tone and playability?
Im looking for an upgrade from my Gitane 300.
I´ve tried a md 100 and liked it, but i would like to know if i it´s worth it to get the md 50 instead. I really need a decent guitar, but money is an issue.
Thanks.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd say the biggest difference is the woods....Indian rosewood adds more complexity and roundness to the sound. Mahogany is simpler, brighter, and more direct.

'm
  • peterjapeterja ✭✭
    Thanks.
    You are a gypsy guitar lexicon.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I owned a 100, own a VR and have tested maybe 5 MD 50's.
    They all have a characteristic Dupont sound - a good thing to have. I found that there is a fairly straight line - more money = more volume and refinement of that sound. My VR sounds very similar to the MD-50s.

I've fought against the tide looking for and buying cheaper guitars, but cost and sound run pretty straight I think. My sampling of other luthiers (other than SAGA - Dupont) isn't that big, and there may be great guitars with the same or different (but great) sound and I wouldn't know.
    The biggest exception to the rule (for me) are the Ciganos). They sort of jump out and up of the cost to value thing at the low end of price, but they aren't comparable to Duponts, though I've made that comparison myself :oops:

All the MD-50s I played were great and very similar to each other. Besides the obvious (Selmer, Busato, etc), I've yet to play anything that measures up to Dupont, but again my sample of them is maybe 15-20 (in the upper price range) and I suppose the day will come when this isn't true for me.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK