DjangoBooks.com

Krivo Django Bucker?

Is the plain Krivo Django Bucker without the adjustable polepieces still available? I assume "bucker" means they are fully humbucking and quiet...(can't stand buzzing, hissing, popping or ambient noise). One of the older posts said they were concentrating on the adjustable polepiece model only. I prefer the look of the plain top p/u and don't like having additional options. Any feedback (pardon the pun) on the these p/u's from users out there? The cords look a little flimsy. Also, anybody tried the Bendedetto archtop floater? Both these pickups are priced pretty good.
Swang on,

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    i owned both a found the krivo to be less harsh and more rounded. email michael, maybe he can get you one without the poles.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Steveareno wrote:
    Also, anybody tried the Bendedetto archtop floater?
    I have the Benedetto S6 archtop floater on my vintage Epiphone archtop. It is a great pickup, one of the nicest jazz pickups I have ever heard. It's not designed for mounting on a gypsy guitar, though - don't know if that is what you were asking.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    good point klaatu, Also I bet there would be a sound difference with strings i.e., round wounds on a jazz box vs argies on a selmer.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    good point klaatu, Also I bet there would be a sound difference with strings i.e., round wounds on a jazz box vs argies on a selmer.
    Possibly, although the Benedetto sounds surprisingly good with bronze strings. As you probably know, pickups set up for nickel or steel wound strings usually sound terrible with bronze, because the bronze is nonmagnetic - the high E & B will jump out, way louder than the others. That's one reason for adjustable polepieces. The Benedetto is claimed to work for both, and it actually does. The bronze strings don't pick up quite as well as nickel, but the difference is small compared to most pickups. So maybe Argies would work. Unfortunately, I have no plans to put Argies on my archtop, so I can't help you there.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks Constantine, are you saying the one with adjustable pole pieces has a better tone? Also Benito for the feedback on the archtop p/u...yeah I've got an old Kalamazoo archtop as well as a GJ. I guess you attach these to the pickguard using the thin tab? Do just drill a couple of holes in the pickguard to mount it...then hard wire it to a jack at the strap button...or at the bottom of the pickguard? The Krivo could be removed and put on different guitars, but it sounds like a fairly acoustic tone...not electric like a Stimer or a Floater.
    Swang on,
    Steveareno wrote:
    I guess you attach these to the pickguard using the thin tab? Do just drill a couple of holes in the pickguard to mount it...then hard wire it to a jack at the strap button...or at the bottom of the pickguard?
    It glues onto the pickguard. You may need to notch the pickguard a bit to make it fit properly. Then the wire can be run into the bass F hole to an endpin jack. An even better rig is to wire it to a "stealth" thumbwheel volume control mounted under the pickguard, which is then wired to the jack. Here's an example:
    http://tinyurl.com/6y6sazj
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Steveareno wrote:
    Is the plain Krivo Django Bucker without the adjustable polepieces still available? I assume "bucker" means they are fully humbucking and quiet...(can't stand buzzing, hissing, popping or ambient noise). One of the older posts said they were concentrating on the adjustable polepiece model only. I prefer the look of the plain top p/u and don't like having additional options. Any feedback (pardon the pun) on the these p/u's from users out there? The cords look a little flimsy. Also, anybody tried the Bendedetto archtop floater? Both these pickups are priced pretty good.
    Swang on,

Steveareno: Jason is constantly working on improving these pickups. I have both a single coil and a Django Bucker. The newer models have a more robust cable.

The sound is not overly electric. Let's be honest no magnetic pickup is going to sound the same as a good mic going through a PA with a sympathetic soundman, but the Krivo's do a nice job of keeping the acoustic properties of your guitar.

I use the pickup with a Princton Reverb and it sounds great. It's also not finicky in terms of dialing in an acceptable tone.

cheers
  • BonesBones Moderator
    The Benedetto suspended (off of the fingerrest) are set up for use with bronze strings. At least, that's what they said the last time I got one from Seymour Duncan. They are compensated so the top 2 strings don't jump out even though there are no adjustable pole pieces. I think the magnet is notched or some such thing. You can get them set up for nickel but that is a special order thru the
    SD factory.
    Bones wrote:
    The Benedetto suspended (off of the fingerrest) are set up for use with bronze strings. At least, that's what they said the last time I got one from Seymour Duncan. They are compensated so the top 2 strings don't jump out even though there are no adjustable pole pieces. I think the magnet is notched or some such thing. You can get them set up for nickel but that is a special order thru the
    SD factory.
    Ah, I didn't realize it was a special order thing. My recollection came from a written description that said that it worked with either. I prefer bronze strings on an archtop for the acoustic quality, but I did have another old Epi archtop with a Benedetto that I used primarily as an electric with nickel strings, and that seemed fine as well.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • BonesBones Moderator
    K,

That's my understanding about the suspended Benedetto pickups from SD. It's been 3 or 4 years so things could have changed but I spoke the the rep there and specifically ordered one for nickel strings. As I recall it had to do with the magnet configuration and more magnetic material on the wound nickel strings versus the wound bronze.

Hmmm, I wounder how 'silk and steel' would work. What material do they make the windings out of the silk and steel?

Give the manufacturer a call if you are unsure to get the best sound. But it's all subjective anyway so if a particular combo sounds good then it must be good regardless....