DjangoBooks.com

GJ guitars used in "other" music?

Been lurking on the forum for a few years since acquiring a GJ guitar (Dell Arte oval hole Latcho Drom with a BigTone). Love this guitar, especially the combination of big neck, long scale and Argentine 11 strings. I struggled with a pencil necked Gibson J45 in my early years that drove me crazy (neck way too narrow and muffled tone). My question: Do many of you use your GJ guitars for other types of music? There was a CD of surf music cut using these guitars a few years ago and there's a little Western Swing on YouTube. I'm into a variety of music and just wondered how widely used these guitars are in other styles?

Comments

• ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    If by "other" music you mean "non-Gypsy Jazz" then yes, I do use the Selmer for other styles. I'm really into Free Form Jazz and the Avant Garde scene, and used to have a small group of likewise minded musicians I used to play with when I lived in another state. I always used my Selmer for gigging and practicing this type of music, and think it works perfectly. I have to say though, I don't really venture out of the Jazz/Blues world musically very often, but I don't see why this type of guitar couldn't be utilized in everything from Bluegrass to Pop.

Just on a side note, I have composed a few Lady Gaga tunes in the Jazz and Gypsy Jazz style, and they seem to sound wonderful on a Selmer 8) :oops: .
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shawn, that's exactly what I mean. Back in the day alot of the European stars played selmac guitars on popular, mainstream jazz and pop tunes, many with Stimers. I really dig Rocky Gresset's version of More, the theme fom Mondo Cane on YouTube, which I guess is a current example of something a little outside the square. I like Hawaiian hapa haole, western swing, corny MOR standards, the great American song book, honkytonk country, r&b, as well as some of the usual GJ stuff (the grilles which I discovered thru this site have been a huge help...such cool, no BS arrangements). These guitars seem to work well for a wide variety of syles.

Swing on,
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i´ve seen a selmer guitar on some french pop music videos, don´t remember the names though. it was an acoustic act with a lovely lady singing. not of much help, i´m afraid.

edit: a selmer on an free/avant-garde setting? that sounds interesting... got me thinking sun-ra, don´t know why.

cheers,
    Miguel!
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Steveareno wrote:
    Do many of you use your GJ guitars for other types of music?

I also use my gypsy jazz guitars to play fingerstyle music, and I've posted a whole bunch of Selmer-fingerstyle stuff to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/adrianholovaty#g/u
    Thanks Adrian, been a fan or your YouTube posts for quite a while. Really like your creative interpretation of tunes you don't often hear in this genre. My only experience in "playing out" (paid gigs) is in small groups with vocalists. So I'm interested in examples of this featuring selmacs. Wonder what the reaction would be if Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, Brad Paisley, or even John Pizzarelli came out brandishing a selmac? Noodlenot, you're right I think these guitars were used quite a bit in pop music in europe back in the 40's-'70s, backing up singers, etc.

Swang on,
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Syntax
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    ?.............maybe should have posted this in Repertoire. I'll stay dialed into MTV,CMT and TMZ for any selmac sightings....though may have better luck on PBS. See ya'll at the Topanga Banjo Contest and Bluegrass Festival in Spring. Heard there's some good djamming goes on up there. 8)
  • WColsherWColsher PhiladelphiaNew
    noodlenot - would that be Zaz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HqjkdqZXCk
  • Argyle DaveArgyle Dave bellingham,WANew
    I use my Dell Arte Hommage D hole for playing Tango music. I think it works quite well for that.
    Thanks WColsher for the ZAZ links. Nice to see younger peformers using selmacs in more contemporaty stuff. Not my taste, but I admire them. Judging from the feedback and responses they're popular in Europe. I feel they associate these guitars with street performers (buskers). Probably pretty common on the streets and town squares over there (better than the electric pianos, loud PAs and portable amps street performers use at the promenades and shopping malls around here). The selmacs are just loud enough on their own and cut thru nicely. Even with a small amp they are low on the irritant factor.
    Swang on,