DjangoBooks.com

Over 4 and a half mm action

I just bought a new Dell' Arte dark eyes and the action is just over three and a half millimeters at the 12th fret. I've read that most folks keep the action over four mm.

I've had no buzzing issues and have it strung with Argentine 10's with an 11 and 15 on the first two strings. What's the advantage of having over 4mm relief? I've never owned a guitar with a 26.5 scale, so maybe it's something to do with tension? Thoughts?

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I keep the action on my Gypsy guitars at 3mm. So does Robin Nolan, Paul Mehling and Sammo (I have measured the action on their guitars). My bandmate plays with a 4mm action but a) he only plays rhythm and B) he has a heavy hand.

3mm works just fine. Some guys even get away with 2.5 mm.

Figure out what works for you.

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    `My moustache D has over 4inchs but I can't be that quick on it when it comes to comping, my right hand suffers and gets cut up like its cheese wire-my manouche has around 3 and it makes all the difference-I hear Nousche plays with a low action too. Thats where the similatiy ends by the way.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    As Marc mentioned, 3mm or lower is quite common, especially for modern players like Bireli, Adrien Moingard, Samson Schmitt, etc. If you're trying to execute the highly technical lines of these players than you'll need to get the action more like 3mm or even lower. Nearly all the Duponts ship with around 3mm action.

You need to have a really well made guitar to get it to play at 3mm or lower and not buzz, and still be decently loud. Usually the Asian guitars just die tonally if you get them this low.

Stochelo (in the old days), Tchavolo, and other heavy hitting players like Moreno will get the action to 4mm and beyond. You get a lot more volume that way and the tone is huge....it works great if you're playing a more traditional Django style but if you want to go the Gypsy bop route than it most likely won't work.

'm