DjangoBooks.com

suggestions of tunes for solo arrangement?

harryeharrye Australia✭✭✭ Antoine Prabel / Olivier Marin
edited December 2009 in Unaccompanied Django Posts: 75
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions of gypsy tunes, normally played with accompaniment, that would sound nice arranged for solo guitar.

I am currently working through Michaels Unaccompanied Django, but would like to work on some of my own arrangements simultaneously.

So far I have put together solo arrangements of: Dark Eyes, Nuages, and Tears.

Any advice/wisdom/experience would be muchly appreciated,

cheers, and merry christmas,

Harry

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Manoir de Mes Reves falls into that category. I can imagine a solo arrangement of Anouman, as well. I've got a solo version of Besame Mucho that I'll play at the Soiree on Saturday
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • harryeharrye Australia✭✭✭ Antoine Prabel / Olivier Marin
    HI there,

Thanks for your reply,

You're right, i think Manoir would sound wonderful arranged for solo guitar..... I just listened to a great version of Anouman on youtube, with Django playing electric. I'll look into that as well.

As far as Besame Mucho goes, would you mind posting your arrangment? It sounds like a lovely tune.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Harry
  • Limehouse Blues lays out very well for a solo tune
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I posted my own solo guitar arrangement of "Tears" to YouTube here:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3msMNzrJ8k
  • harryeharrye Australia✭✭✭ Antoine Prabel / Olivier Marin
    Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

I really like your solo arrangement of Tears adrian, it is much longer and harmonically richer than the one i have learnt, and i think i can gain a lot from your video.

Thanks to 'djangology' too for posting that link. That would certainly be a lovely piece to play on a selmer style guitar, perhaps arranged for picking also.

I thought I would augment this thread by posting a list of the solo compositions/arrangements which i currently perform when busking/gigging. This way people might be able to see 'gaps' in the reportoire, where a certain flavour/colour could be inserted.

Cheers to all, and happy new year,

Harry.

Reportoire:

- Nuages
    - Tears
    - Manoir de mes Reves
    - Dark Eyes
    - Echoes of Spain
    - Parfum
    - Improvisation #1
    - Improvisation #3 pt 1
    - Improvisation #4
    - Improvisation #6
    - Nostalgie
    - Tea for Two
    - Naima
    - Black Orpheous
    - Georgia
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    harrye wrote:
    I thought I would augment this thread by posting a list of the solo compositions/arrangements which i currently perform when busking/gigging. This way people might be able to see 'gaps' in the reportoire, where a certain flavour/colour could be inserted.

Hey Harry,

Don't forget Melodie au Crepuscule! That one works really well for solo guitar. If you're interested, keep an eye on my YouTube channel (http://youtube.com/adrianholovaty) -- I have that tune on my long list of songs to record and upload. :-)

Adrian
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Dont forget Impro #2, i think that's the most complete of all his solo pieces.