DjangoBooks.com

J'attendrai from the video - is there a CD version?

djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
edited July 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 249
Does anyone know if there's an audio version of the quintet doing J'attendrai, particularly from the performance in the video found on this site? I have one recording and it's Django accompanied by Stephanne on piano, but I'd love to hear a full quintet version. The one performed in the video gives me goosebumps every single time I hear it, so I want it on my stereo, in my car, etc.!!!

Comments

• MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I think it's called "Tornerai" on some recordings...or is that a different version?

In the Dregni book it talks about a short film that was made to promote a tour of vaudeville halls in England (1939?) -- I assume this is the film in question -- is that correct?

Also, I've been wondering when this film was uncovered -- "J'Attendrai" seems to have become more of a standard in recent years & I'm wondering if it has to do with the film.

Cheers,

John (formerly Djohn -- I decided that was a silly username)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    sockeye wrote:
    I think it's called "Tornerai" on some recordings...or is that a different version?

different version... everything 's been answered already by the two previous replies.
    sockeye wrote:

Also, I've been wondering when this film was uncovered -- "J'Attendrai" seems to have become more of a standard in recent years & I'm wondering if it has to do with the film.

well it's always been a popular song ... but if you mean within the style, perhaps... although it has been uncovered years and years and years ago , in fact raphael fays more or less quotes the solo in his 1999 album "jazz hot"
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Thanks everyone for your replies... I'll be investing in some of those Integrale volumes as soon as the cash flow allows!

As for the popularity of the song, for me it was simply seeing that video. It utterly captivating to me and I'm guilty of watching it 6 times in a row at times. Definitely my favorite song currently.