DjangoBooks.com

Magnetic pickups shadow neomag / lace acoustic blade

I have a Gitane D-500 which I like a lot. I recently installed a K&K pure archtop pickup in it and am less than thrilled with the sound. It sounds very "hard" and there's no high-end "string sound". It's frankly only a barely usable sound through my PRRI with the treble turned all the way off and only a little better through an expensive Schertler Unico (I don't own, but I tested it out at Pioneer Music in Portland.)

I have a Fishman Rare Earth in a Larivee flattop that I like a lot, especially through my PRRI. While it's by no means a "pure" acoustic sound, it's a very good sound. The oversized soundhole on the D-500 obviously won't fit the Fishman without a lot of monkey business which I'd really rather not go through if I don't have too.

A pair of teeny tiny magnetic pickups have caught my eye and I'd like to know if anyone has experimented with these on a gypsy guitar:

Shadow NanoMag
Lace Acoustic Blade

Thanks!

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    I tried this pickup and had high hopes. The problem was that there are no adjustable poles and the high E was clearly more quiet than the rest of the strings. This also happened with the lace ultra slim acoustic. The best of all of these by far was the 3/8 dobro sensor. Just remember that these are magnetic, so you'll sound a lot closer to an electric guitar. The baggs M1 is pretty cool for a humbucker too or Try mixing in an AT831b mic :D
  • D.G.D.G. New
    Ah, :(

Yes, the imbalance of strings is not promising. I don't mind a more magnetic sound, if fact, I actually want a more magnetic sound. I want the compression a magnetic pickup gives. The other thing is that I'd only be using the pickup/amp for stage monitoring. The main sound in the PA would be from a mic.

I'll look into that AT831b mic, thanks!
    the baggs m1 is big and you need to add tabs to the sides to mount it on a D hole, but it sounds good.
  • D.G.D.G. New
    I think I'll try my Fishman first to see if the entire "tabs" idea is even workable for me before shelling out the bux for yet another pickup :roll:

Any pointers on making "tabs"?
    popsicle shticks or any thin plastic.
  • D.G.D.G. New
    Popsicle sticks! Yes! :mrgreen:
  • D.G.D.G. New
    No joy using popsicle sticks. The pickup sits too low in the soundhole and the output is very weak. The actual tone is a great, clear jazz tone, not terribly acoustic, but very good through a PRRI. I'm still not giving up, but I'm currently out of ideas that are feasible without hacking off the fingerboard extension... :(