DjangoBooks.com

Romane video Clip of Danube

tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
edited October 2009 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 36
Hi,

I would love to find out about a video clip that was on You Tube of Romane playing Danube that had Fanto and Ya Yo Reinhardt playing rhythm, and I think Marc-Michel Le Bevillion playing bass. In the background of the stage were colored lights that I have seen at other Gypsy jazz concert venues. The stage looked similar to the stage in videos I have seen of Stochelo and in the corner of the screen was the word Arte superimposed like cable TV call letters. possibly both Romane and Stochelo were both performing that night?
I would love to know the where, when, etc., about the concert and if the video is available?

Thanks,
Tom
J.T. (Tom) Crammond
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Comments

• Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tom,
    I don't know if this is of much help, but "Arte" is a non-commercial French/German TV-channel. I took a look at their website and found that on 9/30/08 there was a featute called "Gypsy Jazz", featuring the Rosenberg Trio and Romane's band. It took place in La Rochelle/France.
    Here is a link (in German): http://www.arte.tv/de/woche/244,broadcastingNum=891052,day=4,week=40,year=2008.html
    I don't know if it is commercially available.

Regards,
    Frank
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Believe this is the youtube clip, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBJ1NK90TM

Absolutely gorgeous playing. Here, and on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gna2xnLu-zw

I love his storytelling - just clean, beautiful playing, attention on the music, the lyricism, and not sheer wizardry.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
    To Frank and Passacaglia,
    My sincere Thanks to both of you!!! I have been trying to find that video for 8 - 9- months!
    Frank, you confirmed my suspicion about it being aconcert with both Stochelo and Romane and I am trying to contact the film company director - Gypsy Jazz "Jazz-Manouche" A Film by Richard Valverde France Arte-tv Prod. 2006. I found Richard Valverde's website but it is an in French which makes it really hard to navigate and I can't find a contact address, but I am sure I will eventually.
    It appears that the "Arte" TV channel has many excellent programs, very interesting!
    Passacaglia, the first link you sent me was the one I was looking for, the one that is part of the abiove mentioned TV special broadcast on "Arte. However, the second link where Romane is playing in the club is also a great rendition of "Danube." Plus, when that video finished playing there was a You Tube link to another cut of "Danube" featuring the Reinhardts and Marc-Michel Le Bevillon. What is different is the Reinhardts, Fanto and Ya Yo, are not wearing black shirts like they were in the Stage video, they are wearing plaid shirts, but they are on what appears to be the same stage, so I think this video is perhaps a rehearsal or an matinee for a special audience? Lastlly, I do not have a lot of Gypsy jazz, but I have a considerable collection of USA West coast guitar recordings and music, lead sheets, fake books, etc.. Need something? - Music or charts or grilles, lookng for a recording, I just might have it?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond
    Passacaglia wrote

" Absolutely gorgeous playing." . . .
    "I love his storytelling - just clean, beautiful playing, attention on the music, the lyricism, and not sheer wizardry."

So well put, it dawns on me that I forgot to comment on Romane's Playing. I have his acoustic Quartet CD and he plays such a variety of music and styles both within and out of the Gypsy jazz context. I concur with your thoughts about his lyricism - he has a great gift for melody and has written a number of really beautiful Songs i.e. "Gypsy Fire" and "Smile for You" are two of my favorites - "Gypsy Fire" is great Manouche tune and "Smile for You" is bossa tulne with a kind of 'fusion' intro and outro - I also love the tune "For Wes" off of the Gypsy Masters CD and DVD.

When ever I listen to Romane, I always end up humming or listening in my head to one or more of his ideas (licks, phrases) that has grabbed me - he is so inventive - he has a really impressive technical command of the guitar, but does not let technique or 'speed macho" interfere with his playing. This not to say that I do not appreciate other players' excellent techinique and the fast tempos they can perform, but with Romane, it appears to me he just plays with the intent to sound beautiful and if something technically difficult happens - it just happens, (not a plan to show how fast and intricate he can play) it is NOT as you said technical "wizardy" for "super chops" sake!

Thanks,
    Tom
    PS - This goes to everyone out there - if you are looking for a tune or recording I just might have it?
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid= ... -Aaz-d2ZCw

There's the whole concert, you can download it in mp4.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Just watching the Gypsy Jazz Masters vid now. Simply amazing. What a treat!!!
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    While you are at it, take a look at this one, a full 1:10 minutes of the concert featuring Stochelo and Romane at North Sea Jazz Festival, Netherland 2005.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=5490535224247906088&ei=n1HOSsPRKcfJ-Aaz-d2ZCw#docid=-3499888316189040754
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    JazzDawg wrote:
    While you are at it, take a look at this one, a full 1:10 minutes of the concert featuring Stochelo and Romane at North Sea Jazz Festival, Netherland 2005.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=5490535224247906088&ei=n1HOSsPRKcfJ-Aaz-d2ZCw#docid=-3499888316189040754

LOL - thanks, Jazz, fantastic link. In my too-few-coffee cups of coffee state, I had thought I was settling down into a cool minute + of these two masters....an hour plus, what a treat, indeed!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Simonius wrote:
    My thanks to Simonius for this great link to this video and others - there are some other great videos at that sight . . .
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond
    Jaaz dog wrote:
    http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid= ... 6189040754

LOL - thanks, Jazz, fantastic link. In my too-few-coffee cups of coffee state, I had thought I was settling down into a cool minute + of these two masters....an hour plus, what a treat, indeed!

My thanks to JazzDawg - What a great video - Stochelo and Romane both reallly strech out on that video - Well worth watching, more than once . . .!

Thanks,
    Tom
    J.T. (Tom) Crammond