DjangoBooks.com

Lulu Reinhardt anon recording?

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited January 2006 in History Posts: 386
I have a good quality studio recording/bootleg someone gave me which is definitely Lulu Reinhardt
Does someone know the origins?
The tracks are
Danube(Anniversary song)
Hungaria
Twelth year
Minor key uptempo gypsy jazz tune with piano
Solo piece

is it a legit cd--Any other tracks??
Lulu's playing is superb with a stonking Alsace rhythm section(sounds like Holzmano)

Any ideas?
Stu

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hello Stuart!
    I think this recording is called Rigo Winterstein featuring Lulu Reinhardt "King of the Gypsies".

The electric piano is horrible not to mention the drum machine (used on one song only) but absolutely some good guitar playing:)
    Best Regards
    Andreas
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    I think this recording is called Rigo Winterstein featuring Lulu Reinhardt "King of the Gypsies".

Hi,

I am quite sure that Andreas is right. The CD is called "Rigo Winterstein & Lulu Reinhardt Swingtett: King of the Gypsies"

The tracks are:
    1. Donauwellen
    2. Azt beszelik refelöded
    3. Sie will nicht Blumen, auch nicht Schokolade
    4. Kell mu Tchei
    5. Bellavue
    6. I surrender, dear
    7. Faete
    8. Illusionen
    9. Hungaria
    10. Waltz a Noto
    11. Nino Rosza Mirando
    12. Fantasy a Lulu

The uptempo tune with piano is "Sie will nicht Blumen, will nicht Schokolade". It is an old tune from the 40´s´by violinist Barnabas von Gezky.

The solo is "Fantasy a Lulu".

The personnel is
    Rigo Winterstein: solo-guitar
    Lulu Reinhardt: solo guitar
    Pesso Krause: violin
    Danjeto Winterstein: rhythm-guitar
    Babik Reinhardt (not that Babik Reinhardt): double bass
    Wilhelm Winter: keyboard
    Siggi Buchholz: vocal

It was Lulu Reinhardts latest recording and maybe the last. I heard that he is very sick so that he can´t play anymore.

He is one the best players in his generation I ever heard.

Best,

Barengero

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Hello Stuart!

The electric piano is horrible not to mention the drum machine (used on one song only) but absolutely some good guitar playing:)
    Best Regards
    Andreas

Thanks Andreas and barengero
    I agree with the electric piano comments but the playing is superb by Lulu and Rigo
    The minor key tunewith piano is very like the Sinatra song "isle of Capri" only in the minor!
    Maybe someone can end me the complete CD???
    Thanks again
    Stu

PS-see you at Gossington Andreas!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    when i was at herve gaguenetti's house, he had all those cds and a whole bunch of rare stuff, too bad i didn't bring my laptop, i would've burned his entire collection.

here's his living room... behind the cds are even more cds

check out hte video collection too, he has on video every single samois since the early 90s and a lot of cool stuff too...

scan0007.jpg
  • stretchstretch New
    Hi everybody!
    My first time here!!!
    Just to confirm that Lulu Reinhardt is an impeccable, admireable player.
    But on the subject of "Sie will nicht Blumen und nicht Schokolade" I would like to add some sick but interesting detail:
    This song has a Jewish background and was called "Joseph! Joseph!" written by Barnabas von Gezky... I couldn't really find out, when it was written, but it had a big success in a recording by the Andrew Sisters. Under the German Nazi Regime the name was changed to the above mentioned title, they even claimed it to be written by a German songwriter called Hans Karste, lyrics by Klaus S. Richter, recording by the Horst Winter Orchestra, sung by Robert Biberti in 1941 (as far as I know...) This then was a rather common "trick", not only in Nazi occupied France, but even back in Germany. Great tunes could be played like this under their German names, otherwise they were considered as un-arian... (There goes a rumour that even Goebbels and Hitler were jazzfans, but I doubt that) The tune of "Joseph! Joesph!" is rather known in Germany under the new title (well, for those whose horizons go far enough...), old people can hum it by heart, it even found its sneaky way into the operetta repertoire making believe that it was written by the famous operetta star writer Eduard Künneke. This is to make you understand that this song was so far abused by the Nazis that even today people don't know much about its origin. More on the subject:
    http://www.return2style.de/swingaring/jazz3.htm
    There you can hear the recordings of "Joseph! Joseph!" and the german "Sie will nicht Blumen".
    Isn't it rather tragic that two German gypsies were to record this lively song under the wrong name that it was given by the Nazis? No doubt, Rigo Winterstein and Lulu Reinhardt didn't know about this...
    Got to get the record...
    Bye
    stretch
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi stretch, welcome here!

Strange enough that a guy like Robert Biberti, who kicked his three yewish colleagues out of the "Comedian Harmonists", later recorded a song of jewish origin…

Best,
    Barengero
  • stretchstretch New
    Right, Barengero, he must have been a right a...hole! He must have known about the origin of the song, for sure!
    That's showbizz... :cry:
    stretch