DjangoBooks.com

SOLD: Geronimo Mateos Jazz Model A guitar Handmade in Spain

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
edited October 2009 in Classifieds Posts: 415
This is a great guitar and I wouldn't sell it except that I'm basically getting out of trying to learn gypsy jazz. :( I just don't have the time or energy to commit to learning to play this style well. At best I can find a few hours a week to play music, and I'm going to devote that time to my first loves, country blues fingerpicking and old-time guitar.

So anyway...this is a gorgeous guitar. With its small D-hole, long scale and 14-fret neck/body join, it's more like a petite bouche, but with a really cool look. The back and sides are laminated -- I believe mahogany on the inside and the outer lamination is some kind of Rosewood (Brazilian or some other South American rosewood? -- I'm not really sure). The neck is walnut, the fingerboard is ebony and the body has wooden bindings all around.

IMG_0328.JPG

I bought the guitar from Jeff Radaich who plays rhythm in Gonzalo Bergara's band, and in his own band, The Long Beach Caravan Trio. Jeff told me he felt it compared very favorably to a Dupont guitar. I will include with the sale a copy of the Long Beach Caravan Trio's CD, which Jeff told me features this guitar on many tracks.

As most of you probably know, Geronimo Mateos made the original Gallato guitars that caused such excitement when they came out a few years ago.

The guitar is in near-mint condition. There are thin rosewood shims under the bridge which give the guitar perfect action (in my opinion) but they can be easily removed if you prefer lower action. Jeff had a professional luthier move the 10th fret dot to the 9th fret. It was beautifully and expertly done and you have to look very closely to see the ebony plug at the 10th fret. It comes with the original hardshell case.

more pictures here

Price is $1500 firm plus actual shipping costs. If it doesn't sell here by next Sunday, it's off to eBay...I'll also be selling some GJ books, DVDs & accessories.

Best wishes,

John

Comments

• sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Lots of private messages asking about the sound of the guitar. Here's how Jeff described it when he sold it to me:
    It's in perfect condition aside from the fret marker being relocated. It's very playable and the action is pretty low. To tell you the truth I think it might be a little too low. [the rosewood shims were added since that time & I believe the action is now perfect - ed.] The guitar has a more traditional or classic sound than a Dupont. Dupont's have a little modern flavor to them.

And here's Michael's description of a similar Mateos:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... del_a.html
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    That is a beautiful instrument. I know it must be hard giving it up, but I understand. I'm kind of in the opposite situation. I'm moving away from the country blues, and old time guitar genre and into gypsy jazz. I got a Gibson J-200 to play that style, same as one of my idols, Rev. Gary Davis. I love the guitar, but it's one too many now. Didn't have any luck trading or selling for what it's worth, though, so I'm just keeping it around.

Good luck to you on the blues road.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Beautiful!

I wonder if the back and sides are Pau Ferro. Geronimo's Web site shows a Model A D hole made with that wood.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Yeah, could be. I wish I knew for sure. Pau Ferro is Machaerium scleroxylon which is sold under various other names: Morado, Bolivian Rosewood, Santos Rosewood...

In any event, I don't think it much matters in terms of sound what the outer lamination is, and this one sounds as good as it looks.

John
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Well, I'd like to take this guitar off your hands, but sadly don't have enough saved yet. I thought it would be nice to post a link to an interview with the builder I found. It has a lot of good info about how he came to build manouche style guitars, and may give someone the push to get hold of this instrument if they are sitting on the fence wondering about it.

Here's the article link:
    http://www.hotclubnews.de/archiv/News20 ... 2882611803

Enjoy
    Lots of interest but no firm takers. Last chance before it goes to eBay (where the price will be higher).

Thanks,

John
    On HOLD pending receipt of payment.
    The guitar has been sold. Thanks for all the interest.

John