DjangoBooks.com

Anyone ever convert an Oval Hole to a D-Hole?

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Yes, I was sniffing glue and thinking about cutting out a D hole on an oval hole beater.

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    The bracing of the soundboard is different, I think. I would not do that!
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It should be fairly easy to go all around the the sound hole taking off a half inch which would give a huge percentage increase in air flow. One guitar builder in Rochester said the standard hole is too small. Putting a soundport on the side could be interesting. Putting a D hole shouldn't
    be a problem with these because the oval model has 1 more brace and there doesn't appear to be much difference in the area around the opening.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I'm with Frater on this one...I wouldn't do it. Maybe some scented candles instead of glue? :wink: However Geronimo Mateos has a GJ model that I really like with a smaller d-hole. Sockeye has one here in Philly, and it looks great and sounds fantastic. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'd gladly send you a photo. I have one of the last, if not the last, Busatos, and it has an odd d-hole as well. here's a pic. If you are going to do it, maybe the Mateos or Busato examples can offer some ideas on how to enlarge it without going to a full-sized D. I played another Busato at Django in June that had the same shaped sound hole as mine only slightly larger. The only difference was the size of the rosette. His rosette was half as wide, hence the slightly larger opening.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Dr. BullDr. Bull New
    Sorry if off topic but is that the Busato Jacques had for sale? Very nice!
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Yes, I bought it from Jacques. Actually, I have to thank Michael Horowitz, because he called and asked me if I'd try it when I was down visiting Jacques trying guitars. I did and told Michael it was great, but he decided to pass since he is in the position to be very selective. I thought about it for a few days and decided to buy it. I thought it was an ugly duckling, so I wasn't even going to play it. Once I played it I was hooked. I am glad Michael passed, but I have promised him right of first refusal if I ever sell it.

In spite of the strings being so old they were pitted, it is a great sounding guitar. Check out Denis Chang's video of "It had to Be You" on You Tube. Rom is soloing on it in the video. Sounds better live, though...
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Dr. BullDr. Bull New
    Tis a great guitar whose looks might best be described as an acquired taste. I like it! I played it about a year ago. At the time I had just recently gotten into gypsy jazz and did not really know what to expect from a vintage instrument. I just had not played enough gypsy jazz guitars. Your guitar sounded and felt great but it was beyond my budget. Rom sounds amazing on your guitar. You are a lucky guy! Enjoy!

PS Sorry to keep drifting off topic.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Isn't there some legend around Clarence White expanding his Martin's sound hole with a pocket knife? Not that I'd try it in a million years...