DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG 250M with Schatten PU for sale

skajangoskajango Mount Vernon, Skagit Co., WANew Dupont MD50
edited July 2009 in Classifieds Posts: 6
2 yr old birdseye maple gitane 250M with schatten HFN-S2 artist active pickup for sale (specifically for selmer style guitars). Good entry level guitar in very nice condition and gig ready- sounds great plugged in. $775 plus shipping (located skagit county, WA), reasonable offers considered.

Comments

• David F.David F. Vancouver, WA✭✭✭
    How removable is the picku;?
  • skajangoskajango Mount Vernon, Skagit Co., WANew Dupont MD50
    hi there, the pickup is a funny shaped piece that's pushed onto 2 braces under the bridge with putty. So removal involves pulling the pu off but it's an oval hole- you need either a small hand to use or some tool that will do the job. There's a patch of stickyback velcro on the back that's accessable and the jack comes out by loosening a nut. Let me know if you're interested. Pete
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    How funny, I was actually thinking of selling my 250M which has the exact same pick up installed. What a coincidence! Good luck offloading your guitar it's a good one!
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    edited July 2009 Posts: 230
    I picked up a used 250M a few months ago. After hollowing out the original bridge, I can honestly say that I am shocked by how good it sounds and plays. The maple body gives it a different tone than the other models. It's a very loud guitar with a very strong lead ability, punchy. It's a copy of the 1941 Maple Selmer, by the way- makes a great second instrument.
  • pault86pault86 College Station, TXNew
    When you got the buitar did you have Josh set it up?
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you are asking me the question or not. In my case, I do all the work myself. I work very slowly and carefully with a Dremel tool and a cone shaped stone grinding head. I just hollow them out like a Dupont bridge, or like the newest Gitane bridges.
  • pault86pault86 College Station, TXNew
    Hi Heretic,

Thanks for your reply, I was really asking Skajango.

When I found Djangobooks I was looking for a 250M because I am working through the John Jorgenson books and DVDs. The 250M sounds great when he plays it, I thought it was the guitar to get.

I really wasn't prepared for what I've found here - this is like a guitar alternate universe - and I guess I'll start with a Cigano because of Mike's comments about the better neck angle and top arch. Those are familiar concepts I understand. It is just hard to believe that the cheaper, ugly guitar is better.

But it makes sense in this universe where high action, fat necks, and potsherds for picks are the way to go. I'm waiting for the Gypsy Picking book and a Wegen but I started trying it today with my usual scales and arpegios. It's like going back to short pants, but I know it is the key to speed in the long run. :)

Thanks again!
    Paul