DjangoBooks.com

tremolo pick slide

KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
edited July 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 110
Ok, this has been annoying me for a while so I guess I'll post about it since I've never seen this exact problem addressed...

When I tremolo, especially chord tremolos, my pick inevitably gets pushed back into my grip and I have to keep taking breaks to re-adjust my grip before I end up playing with nothing but my fingers. Does no one else experience this? Any ideas on a fix? Basically I can't play tremolos for more than a couple of bars because of this problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    that s a problem a lot of people have including some of the greats... not necessarily for chord tremolos but just in general... i know ritary is often complaining about it...

you can experiment with finding a better grip... otherwise the best solution is to readjust your pick every now and then... it takes a split second to do and you can do it while you take a small break in your soloing or when playing rhythm you do a chord break at the turn around and use the second or two to readjust....

i was just jamming in the streets with ramsezaz and was having this problem big time haha
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I actually have never had that problem...I guess I'm lucky. But I have plenty of others!!

One thing that helps a lot with the tremolo is to turn your pick inward so it's pretty much perpendicular to the strings. It might feel a little weird at first, but it will make tremolo way easier. That position lets you slide the pick over the string with little effort. It also gives you a nice "swoooshing" sound. Works great for regular rhythm playing too.

good luck!

'm
    i've found a way. it's all about the play-relax muscles. you have to lock the pick slightly when you're picking and then immediately relax between down and upstrokes. with enough practice :wink: you should be able to do this ultra fast and knock people out with your hurricane pickings.
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    I've noticed that the orientation of my pick and its trajectory are angled, maybe 30 degrees, with respect to the strings on chord tremolo. I probably learned this from one of our experts at a workshop or somewhere. At any rate, it seems to work, since it makes the pick glide more easily over the strings. The pick cannot fall as far into the trough between strings.
    With the resulting smoother action, the pick would be less likely to be jarred lose.

Mike A
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    Thanks all,

Turning my pick a bitmore perpindicular to the strings as Mickael suggested has seemd to help a fair bit, now it's just a matter of training myself to do that naturally.

Thanks again,

Kevin
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    One thing that helps a lot with the tremolo is to turn your pick inward so it's pretty much perpendicular to the strings. It might feel a little weird at first, but it will make tremolo way easier. That position lets you slide the pick over the string with little effort. It also gives you a nice "swoooshing" sound. Works great for regular rhythm playing too
    What do you mean by "inward"? Is the face of the pick perpendicular to the strings or is it the side? :? I´m guessing the side but...
    Thank you in advance.
    -Harry
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    YEs...the side.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thank you very much Michael!
    -Harry