DjangoBooks.com

Rhythm. Just Rhythm.

KvonNJKvonNJ Northern NJNew
edited April 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 13
Here's the thing... maybe it was the military time, maybe it's working in the medical field.. I don't know. But I am the kind of guy who has to do ONE thing at a time, and get comfortable with it. I am really interested in simply becoming a good, solid rhythm player. Nothing fancy, nothing flashy... I just want to be really good at ONE thing for now. Maybe when I myself feel really cool about it, I'll start thinking "leads," but being a drummer, I guess rhythm just appeals to the way I think about music a little more.
Does this approach make sense, or am I missing the boat entirely?
-Karl

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Actually, this what I recommend most people do: concentrate on rhythm for a good 6 months before even worrying about soloing. Unfortunately, few ever do and subsequently there are a lot of players out there taking lots of solos but are still struggling to play rhythm.

Also, if you really master it you will get a lot of work because good rhythm players are in big demand! Very, very few people in the US can really do it.

'm
  • KvonNJKvonNJ Northern NJNew
    Thanks, MH.
    Guess I'm leaning the right way then. Good to know~!

By the way... thanks for this site, too. It's the best thing to happen to my playing since I started using a hubcap for a pick!
    -Karl
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    I agree with Michael,
    Learn to pompe first, and learn a bunch of tunes- every session needs a great rhythm player! As far as gypsy jazz- its my thing . . . I played some leads in a "straight" jazz context last night for the first time in several years - interesting experience!
    Ben
  • Phydeaux3Phydeaux3 New
    A very optimistic 6 months from Michael there. Wasn't it Mondine that wouldn't let Ninine play any lead for years until he mastered rhythm??
    Alors, un, deux...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Phydeaux3 wrote:
    A very optimistic 6 months from Michael there. Wasn't it Mondine that wouldn't let Ninine play any lead for years until he mastered rhythm??

Yes, 6 months is not very long really. Ideally it would be more like 6 years...but so few even do the 6 months so at least that's a start.