DjangoBooks.com

Beginner here, trying to find a cheap guitar

Hi everyone - I've been trying to learn this style of music on my classical guitar, but I'm starting to feel like I want to get a legitimate gypsy jazz guitar. I saw that the Saga Cigano's here https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... igano.html are on sale.

Is there any real difference between the GJ-0 and GJ-10, and how do these compare to the Cordoba Gitanos? I guess I'm looking for probably one of the oval hole models, but I'm pretty clueless where to start.

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be best to play it safe with the solid soundboard GJ-10.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Cigano GJ-10 is sort of the "miracle" guitar....it's a lot better then you'd expect for the $. Definitely better then the Cordoba's (which are now out of production).

You could save a little with the GJ-0 because it has a laminate top. But I'd just pay the extra $30 and get the solid top, you won't regret it.

'm
  • harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
    Michael,

What do you mean by "solid" top? I thought the only difference was that the top was unlaminated as opposed to these new Ciganos that are coming (for some unknown reason) with laminated tops...
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    edited April 2009 Posts: 629
    Laminated here means plywood, not the plastic coating also referred to as lamination. The GJ0 is a plywood top, which doesn't resonate as well as a "solid" top, which is a single piece of wood, like on the GJ10. Hold out for the solid top for the extra $30

My gf has a Cigano GJ15 with a solid top, and it is an amazing instrument. Great sustain, punchy tone and LOUD! Well worth the $

Don't waste your time with the Cordoba. There is a reason these things are out of production.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Solid=unlaminated