DjangoBooks.com

charts lulu, swing gitane

marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
edited March 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 120
Can anyone direct me to charts with melodies in standard musical notation (not grilles) for Lulu Swing and Swing Gitane? I actually have these at home but forgot them and could use them tonight.

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,

Try these...

best,
    Jack.
    jonpowl
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    Thanks Jack.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    btw, does anyone knows whether or not the exact title of the song is Swing Gitan or Swing Gitane ?
    Paul Vidal has played La Gitane and Django Gitan Swing, those are different songs but always spelled the same way.... the correct spelling for Swing Gitan(e) doesn't seem consistent.
    - JG
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi,

The correct spelling is Swing Gitan (gipsy swing) and la Gitane (the gipsy [woman]). In french the adjective changes slightly to match the subject (male, female, singular or plural).
    In french anything is either male or female : for instance a banana is female (une banane) and an apricot is male (un abricot).
    So a gipsy banana will be une banane gitane and a gipsy apricot will be un abricot gitan. That is why you find sometimes gitan and sometimes gitane.
    Now in english when you say "the gipsy" you don't know if you are talking of a man or of a woman. In french you say le gitan for a man and la gitane for a woman.
    While we are on the grammatical subject, here are two frequent mispellings to avoid : you must write
    Fleur de lavande (and not lavende like in lavender)
    Douce ambiance (and not ambience)

Best

François RAVEZ
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    ...for instance a banana is female (une banane) and an apricot is male (un abricot).

Call me sexist, but I can't help but think this should be the other way around.
    OK Jack,

I should have said a cucumber [male] (un concombre) and a peach [female] (une pêche).

But I don't want to turn your life into a cartoon by Robert Crumb, where you see a fruit salad like an orgy.

Best

François
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Glad we have a few Francophones on the forum who know all that stuff.
    Thanks Francois ! :wink:
    - JG
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    The correct spelling is Swing Gitan (gipsy swing) and la Gitane (the gipsy [woman]).

just kidding around, but i like to play for the woman and so I say "Swing Gitane" ... is that incorrect?
    In this case "Gitane Swing" would be more appropriate.

Best

François RAVEZ