DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis Guitars

Comments

• I talked to Samson Schmitt in Paris recently he said Rodrigo is the best guitar builder he has ever known. I lose my job recently but soon will order a jazz model when I have some money.
    Joseph
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    frater wrote:
    Quite probably, the Favino at Oldies was built by Jean Pierre Favino not Jacques...

Yeah, that seems to be the case if the build year is 1983. I don't know why they describe is as a Jacques except maybe they were still using his design and his labels at that point.

Oh, there's also one (for big bucks) at archtop.com.
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of pictures of my new Favino style guitar from Rodrigo Shopis (he calls it a D'Artagnan). I will post a full review in the next few days when I have a little time. Suffice to say for the time being this guitar is FANTASTIC!
    charlie
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Congrats, Charlie!!! Rodrigo does make special guitars for sure. Yours looks beautiful! I can't wait to hear more about it.

Last year someone at Django in June had a hybrid Charlie Christian model Rodrigo made with a Gibson ES-150 sized body and a gypsy neck. I talked with Rodrigo about the guitar, but could never track the owner down when he was free to try it or get his opinion. I hope he shows up again this summer. I thought it was an interesting concept.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    That's just gorgeous... it seems this Rodrigo guy has a concept pretty clear in his mind (a concept a bit overlooked in our little discussions): guitars are made a'wood!
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Having played my new guitar for just under a week now I can say that I agree with Ted G's assessment: this is really one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. I am overwhelmed, to say the least. I've been playing a Dupont for many years and have gotten really accustomed to the sound and playability. A solid wood instrument, Rodrigo's guitar is also very suave and playable but it has an enormous sound even after lowering the action fairly substantially. It has a high bridge and quite a bit of room between the strings and the top which I asked for specifically. The fretboard is very thick and the frets are large and for my hands it is a very fast neck. You can really dig in and attack this guitar... it really rips! It's also a very subtle instrument with a beautiful even tone all the way up the neck. The guitar is very light. The finish is gorgeous, it looks 50 years old. Having played Many Duponts and Dell'Artes, 4 Shelly Parks, 5 Favinos, 2 Busatos and one Selmer I can say that this is a real virtuoso concert instrument. Rodrigo is a great guy to work with-- he really understands this kind of music. This is a rare beauty.
    charlie
    Hi Charlie

I am coming to New York in April for a visit. Is it possible I could come and play your guitar? It is very beautiful and Samson swears by them.

Joseph
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Joseph,

Sure, you are welcome to swing by and play it. It's a real cannon and super light. There were a lot of players here last week and the consensus was entirely positive. Everyone loved it and it was easily the loudest guitar at a jam with 5-6 guitars and a big upright base. It sounded like it was amplified.

A super guitar. I really want to commission his Charlie Christian model and then I can retire.

Charlie
    charlie
  • AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    Greetings! This is a pretty old thread ... does anyone have any recent info on Rodrigo Shopis? Is he still out there, building great guitars somewhere? The website is ... well, it seems to go somewhere else now. Curious.

He is a GREAT luthier. I hope he's all right and still creating, somewhere. Any info would be helpful.

- Tim
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    Appel wrote: »
    Greetings! This is a pretty old thread ... does anyone have any recent info on Rodrigo Shopis? Is he still out there, building great guitars somewhere? The website is ... well, it seems to go somewhere else now. Curious.

He is a GREAT luthier. I hope he's all right and still creating, somewhere. Any info would be helpful.

- Tim

You can get in touch with him at his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rodrigo.shopis

At was thinking of having a guitar built at one time and sent him a message on Facebook. We talk on there for a little bit then he sent me an email to discuss further.