DjangoBooks.com

Babik American Gypsy

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited January 2009 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 6,153

Comments

• aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Hey All,
    Almost a year in the making. Mostly original compositions.
    A multitude of guest artists including accordionist Vladimir Mollov.
    Check out a recent review by Djangobooks forum favorite Jack Brown:
    http://djangology.net/archives/2008_12.html#000398

Thanks!
    Josh
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    How the heck did I miss this coming out ?!?!

Man, my head has been under a rock lately... Very cool stuff Josh - Progressive Balkan Gypsy Grass! But seriously - a very cool sound; I really enjoy the fact that you're exploring a bunch of different roots in this music. Wrembel does that too and it's wonderful - and you're one of only two bands I hear exploring the Spanish gypsy rhythms (Or whatever you'd call the genre of the Gipsy Kings) There was another band - a European band named Spilarni who posted here recently and they were stretching in that direction too. It's very compelling stuff - difficult right hand technique though. Actually, now that I think of it, I've heard Gonzalo Bergara do songs in that vein too, so I guess that makes three bands but it's not common by any means.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Bob! I'm glad you like it.
    I'll trade you. I'll send you out 2,000 discs for one of those guitars you make that I love so much.
    You could sell 1500 of them for $2 a piece and still have 500 for coasters and gifts. C'mon that's a good deal.
    The 1st 1000 went within a month so you'll be all set by the time the guitar is built? Whatdya say?

OK - I don't blame you. I'm just giving you fair warning I'm on the Bob Holo guitar payment plan. I'll mow your lawn for 3 years. How about that for a deal?

:lol::lol::lol:
    Be well my friend.
    Hope to see you soon.
    Josh
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    1000 CDs in a month - that's great turnover for a self-produced acoustic jazz album. You must have a fairly rabid fanbase. Nice!

Lawnmowing for 3 years... Hmm....

Actually my lawn isn't worth the effort for you to even bother with it unless you needed a good laugh. I have a rock garden out front and forested commons out back and a little teeny tiny strip of grass that we're eventually going to turn into a flower garden or something because it just looks silly sitting there... like some sort of lilliputian golf course... a tiny little slip of well coiffed greenery demarcating the border of our house from the commons... guarding us from the wiles of mother nature... haha.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Perfect!
    That sounds like the lawn I want to mow!
    :lol:

Yeah, fans are rabid. The strict shot regiment unfortunately claims them unable to attend shows these days though; something about their entertainment dollar only goes so far. I will start offering rabies clinics at my guitar clinics now. Thanks for the idea!
    :wink:

Enjoy the rocks and tell them they will have a migrant worker companion as soon as the weather breaks.

Happy new year.
    J