DjangoBooks.com

bootleg videos

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    guit_box wrote:
    A few of them won't play for me and others seem to have audio that is out of sync.

Which ones don't work? Which ones are out of sync?

If you have the latest real player and quicktime player all the vids should work. On many, the sync problem is on the original be cause the musicians where miming a pre-recorded track.

Thanks,

'm
  • czeckoczecko ✭✭✭
    Hi Michael,
    Great site and instructional materials.

I've tried several of the videos and can't seem to get them to work right. The Real Player(s) of Stochelo seem to quit out and re-load every twenty seconds or so. I have a T1 connection at work and DSL at home and haven't encountered this problem at other sites with streaming video. At first I though many people were trying to hit these simultaneously and that was slowing things down. But I have tried repeatedly and at odd hours and the same thing happens.

I do have the latest Realplayer/Quicktime, but I work on a MAC, which I know is not always compatible with all internet video. The AVI files don't load at all. Usually if I want to watch an AVI, I download it my disc and open it with VideoLan. But if a file is not downloadable I don't think this will work. If you or anyone else has any ideas on what I could do or might be doing wrong, that would be great.

What I have been able to see of this stuff looks really good. :D
    czecko wrote:
    The Real Player(s) of Stochelo seem to quit out and re-load every twenty seconds or so.

Dennis sent those Stochelo ones in Windows Media format and they were then compressed into Real Player format. Maybe the WMA format isn't kosher for macs...dunno.

Do all the quicktime vids work? Which other ones are giving you trouble? I have gotten a few complaints, mostly from Mac users. Seems like most folks are able to see most or all of them. Not sure what I can do, I have it all set up by the book.

'm
  • czeckoczecko ✭✭✭
    Dennis sent those Stochelo ones in Windows Media format and they were then compressed into Real Player format. Maybe the WMA format isn't kosher for macs...dunno.

Ah, that's probably what it is. A shame, but not the first time I've had this issue.

Do all the quicktime vids work? Which other ones are giving you trouble? I have gotten a few complaints, mostly from Mac users. Seems like most folks are able to see most or all of them. Not sure what I can do, I have it all set up by the book.

No they tell me I'm missing software...Like the Aléman...I can hear parts of it, but I can't see it. I'm sure you did everything right...like I said, not the first time there have been Mac issues. Sometimes media is compatible and sometimes it isn't. For instance, I can watch the vids on the aboutdjango site...I think it usually comes down to versions of software and Macs always lag behind or don't support what most of the world is doing. Argh!

Maybe the next Quicktime update will fix it.

Cheers Michael!
    czecko wrote:
    I think it usually comes down to versions of software and Macs always lag behind or don't support what most of the world is doing. Argh!

Maybe the next Quicktime update will fix it.

I had a friend check w/his Mac and the vids worked on the Quicktime stuff. So I don't know what to do.

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi michael, the quicktime doesn't work on my computer either... i hear the audio fine but the video doesn't wrok
  • steve slivkasteve slivka Chicago ILNew
    Ladies and Gents,

I know the post is from a couple of weeks ago, but I thought

I would bring up a suggestion.

I agree that the best way, at least the best way for me to learn has

been watching videos of Django, Stochelo, etc.

Might I suggest you set the video archive on the site as

"progressive" download .wmv files?

You would'nt have to deal with congestion of repeat viewers all watching at once.

you could trade them easily.

And, there is a totally solid windows media player for macs.

At first I had thought yo set the videos up as real so peaple couldn't save them.

But, reading the previous post I guess that's not the case.

As Brand's Dictum state: "Gypsy Jazz information wants to be Free!"

Anyway, that's my two bits.

Steven P. Slivka

Berwyn, IL
    Unfortunately it takes a huge amount of time and effort to digitize the videos and stream them. Streaming via Real Player and Quicktime is the best option for the majority of folks. I just don't have the time to be converting everything in three formats. Sorry.

Also, my web host doesn't support Windows streaming media.

Sorry, I wish I could improve it but this is what we've got for now. Maybe one day when I've breached the poverty line doing this I can spend more time on it. Untill then this is the best way.

I hope your still enjoying them...after all, they're free!

'm
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Converting Windows Media to Real Audio is a bad idea. You should put these up as WMA files to be saved to get a permanent copy. By streaming, you have a cost every time it is played and people with a slow connection can't realistically play it, but could save it with a long download. This is much less labor intensive than making DVD's and tapes and mailing.
    2 clips could be put up a month starting with the best ones to avoid bandwidth problems and to get 24 a year would be good. It could be even better if someone else put some elsewhere also.
    Dave
  • stuckinkansasstuckinkansas KansasNew
    Dennis,
    I would love to buy your videos, at just about anything under 20 bucks a pop. Depending on the video. You may have already ansered this but, do you or does anyone have copies of past Samois festivals. I saw a copy of one a guy had at a bluegrass festival in my hometown, so I know they exist. I would be very very very interested in acquiring past years on vhs or dvd.

Help from anyone on this would be awesome, thanks.