DjangoBooks.com

split Schatten pickup

marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
Are there any reviews/remarks on the newer split-design Schatten pickup for Selmacs? I seem to remember someone here mentioning ordering one.

Mike

Comments

• BreezeBreeze New
    Calling Larry Camp. Larry just had one put in his new Gallato, I'll let him speak about it. I have the older Schatten in my 7 string Hodson, and it is a great pickup. The best I've heard so far, very natural sounding. The new model is said to be a little more resistant to feedback. I've not had problems with mine, so I wouldn't change it. It's a good unit and Les Schatten is interested in getting a great sounding pickup for these guitars. It can be tough installing in an oval hole!
    Somebody wake me when it's time to hit.
  • campfirecampfire New
    Okay, I was hoping to use the pickup live a few more times before commenting, but here goes.

It sounds just like my guitar only louder. Warm and clear. It picks up no onboard noise. It is very feedback resistant. It doesn't start to sound "fake", or quacky when I turn up loud. It really is the best I've heard so far. I haven't heard the Schertler yet, so I can't compare the two. I've heard plenty of Bigtones (and others) though, and I still stand by my statement: "...best...so far."

What more could one ask from an acoustic pickup? Afforable? Yep. The HFN-S Artist is about $159. including onboard (9 volt) preamp. Easy installation? Errr....not exactly. D-hole= maybe. Oval hole= Better have a drill, a light, a mirror, AND a special "S" shaped mounting tool. And a lot of patience and/or a GOOD guitar tech. 'Nuf said.

I really like it, and recommend it. But be prepared for a hairy installation, especially on an oval hole.

Larry Camp
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I just played a Gitane DG-255 with a Schatten pickup installed and I was really surprised at the pleasant tone. I'm really skeptical about pickups in acoustic instruments and despise the tinny sound that they so often produce, so my expectations were low. Yet plugged into a PA, it sounded exactly like the guitar, but louder, as campfire has noted. Can't beat that price either. After some minor fundraising, I'll get one for my DG-250M and will report back with the results.