DjangoBooks.com

Julian Bream playing Viper's Dream!

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
edited May 2008 in Welcome Posts: 1,252
Yet another famous Djangophile. One of the legendary classical guitarists at a house party drinking & playing gypsy jazz on his nylon string.

Way way cool

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Thanks for posting that Bob. WAY COOL indeed.

It is my understanding that in the time of Bach, improvisation was the norm. I believe that the best Classical players (like Bream) do improvise.

Stephane Wrembel taught me that when playing a Gypsy waltz, one should improvise little accents and flourishes to give the piece a personal statement.

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Wow...that was pretty bad...why can't classical guys play the Jazz? :D

Just kidding, relax! I love Bream (and that funny story of Grappelli asking him to play "one more" chorus having noticed he had just a couple prepared beforehand: such a nasty cat!)
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    I Dunno-
    that solo didn't suck!
    Thanks Bob!! way way cool- exactly!
    Cheers,
    B.
    Wonderful vid. Too cool.
    It is my understanding that in the time of Bach, improvisation was the norm. I believe that the best Classical players (like Bream) do improvise.

It's making a comeback. I've seen releases lately that have classical musicians improvising on classical music. IIRC there was an article in the NYTimes about how more classical musicians are recovering that lost art (for them). Google "classical improvisation" and you'll see a few discussions about it.

On a related note, I've heard that musicians like Liszt weren't too bound by the music score ... unlike today's classical performers, who have a bit of a sola scriptura approach to classical music IMO.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Gents - you crack me up!

Man am I itching for Django in June. My playing is really not where it should be because I've been spending a lot more time holding a chisel than a pick lately but I am pumped and ready to play.

Mark, it sounds like you have a cool gig at DFMV in a few days. The two people you've chosen to feature are among my favorite up & coming players. There is a handful of young players emerging right now who have unreal potential and are rapidly growing into it and Annie & Tommy are clearly in that pack. If a person takes a look at the young European talent like the Selmer 607 crew and the young talent we have coming up here in the States it bodes well for the future of this music.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Bob,

We have played many gigs with Annie over the years. It is always an inspiration to play with her. She always puts 110% of herself into the music (and by osmosis, the rest of us do as well).

We have never performed with Tommy before, so its gonna be fun. There will not be time for a rehearsal, so it will be true jazz...anything can happen.

I'm just glad that we play BEFORE Robin Nolan. He is such a masterful artist. He'd be a tough act to follow.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    Julian Bream is really one of the all-time great classical guitarists. His incredible sense of color on the instrument is unparalleled.

There are many more with many more chops, but no one has the feel and approach that he does. It is a crime that the original LPs were all de-centralized and individual tracks turned into "collections"- they should reissue them as they were released, starting with the 1959 "Art of The Guitar" that moves from 17th and 18th century music one side one up to 20th century on side two.

:Grandpa Simpson Smiley:
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
    Wasn't that guy in the Indiana Jones series?
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I'm afraid that was Denholm Elliott! :D
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    edited May 2008 Posts: 159
    John

I couldn't agree more about Bream and color. All of his recordings are available as (or where I should say, dont know anymore) as a big box set, similar to Djangology or Integrale, I have a friend who purchased it years ago at a Tower records, iits all of the RCA recordings from late 50's to late 80's or so. 28 CD's in the set maybe?

Hard to find I'm betting, and really expensive as well.

-Chuck