DjangoBooks.com

Dumb-ass question on Dell'Arte

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
Is it pronounced Dell-Artay or Dell-Art? I've always used the former, but that would be an Italian pronunciation, and **** is French, so now I'm beginning to wonder.

Since I own one, I should at least be pronouncing it right, even if I can't play it right.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    klaatu wrote:
    Is it pronounced Dell-Artay or Dell-Art? I've always used the former, but that would be an Italian pronunciation, and **** is French, so now I'm beginning to wonder.

Since I own one, I should at least be pronouncing it right, even if I can't play it right.

It's Dell-Art

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    isn't it dell artay?

it doesn't matter if alain is french... Dell Arte comes from comedia dell arte , a form of theater or something like that from italy..

in french we still say dell artAY, and in english as well as far as i know...

it's a borrowed pronounciation... in english there's also "faux pas" which is borrowed from fench... and it's pronounced the french way (foh pah) and not fox pass
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Sounds good to me, Denis. I had always assumed that for the very same reason - commedia dell'arte - but then heard someone recently pronounce it differently, and that started me wondering ...
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I went right to the source, **** himself. It's dell-artay.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    cool...everyone I always spoke with said it dell-art. Now i Know!
    Cool! I'd always wondered if it was like the commedia.
    The way I play it, it's like the commedia. Alain's guitars, however, are serious stuff. I was going to say serious shit, but I'm trying to clean up my act.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Next time, could you please ask Cola how this is to be pronounced too? :)
    I think it's pronounced "Ar-too-dee-too percent sign twenty standee percent sign twenty ess-em dot jay peg," but I can't be entirely sure - it may be French.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles