DjangoBooks.com

Bireli's website?

NakNak New
edited March 2008 in Welcome Posts: 14
hey, anyone know why bireli's website (lagrene.com) is no longer up? does he have a new address?
thanks.

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Check out Bireli's site at Dreyfus Records:

http://www.dreyfusrecords.com/discs_ns.php?a=5&l=0
  • NakNak New
    thanks for the response. i did come across the dreyfus site before, but all i saw there was a bio and album list. there's no info on his touring schedule. is it there and i'm just not seeing it?
    On the Dreyfus site, click on "News" or "Concerts" for upcoming show info. Regrettably, I see nothing featuring Bireli for now.
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    It's weird, though...
    A few weeks ago there were, like, 100 dates of concerts for Biréli, and now there's not a single one..
    Maybe it's being updated, let's wait.. :roll:
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Well, I checked his domain registration and - although the information looked sort of cryptic and I couldn't tell for sure - It looks like it might have expired a couple weeks ago which means he has a couple more weeks to get his web people to renew it. (typically you get a 1 month grace period to renew your domain, but sometimes if a person has changed their email address, they don't get the reminder messages)

So, just to be on the safe side, I "ordered" the name through a major domain registrar so if Bireli doesn't get around to it in time, it will (in theory) transfer to me. This should keep it out of the hands of scumbuckets who steal domains and then try to sell them back to the owners for large sums of money. I will of course sell it back to Bireli for the pittance it cost me to protect it for him. (just under $60)

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    A bit off topic, but do any of you guys have recommendations for web hosts and domain registrars? I've been thinking of building a site, but I've never done it before and don't want to make a giant mistake right out of the box...

thanks,
    Jack.
    Jack, you should check into Network Solutions. They've been at it probably the longest, have decent prices *and* offer web-hosting packages for what I think is a reasonable fee.

If your web site will be only static pages, Network Solutions will be just fine. If you will be doing more advanced things involving Flash animation, an online store, Active Server pages, etc., you may want to check with a local ISP.

Bob, thanks for a preemptive strike against potential "cyber-squatters" who might try to gobble up Bireli's domain name. It *would* be an indication of Mr. Lagrene's popularity if someone tried, though. As a point of contrast, I let one of my domains expire nearly a decade ago and nobody has bothered to try to register its name. The hosting ISP never cleaned my page off its server, so it's still out there. At the bottom it says "Last modified: December 25, 1999." If it's on the Internet, it lives forever... somewhere!

-k
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    jack my job is web design so if you need any help or questions answered building your site let me know.

In terms of hosting, we use our own servers but i have experience with a few other hosting companys. i would recommend dreamhost.com they are well established and you get tons of space and bandwidth for a decent price. if you are looking to host a large media files like mp3 or vids they are a good option.
    gatsby wrote:
    It's weird, though...
    A few weeks ago there were, like, 100 dates of concerts for Biréli, and now there's not a single one..
    Maybe it's being updated, let's wait.. :roll:

Well, so Bireli's site is not very current. I decided to try another approach:

http://www.sylvainluc.fr/agenda/

8)