DjangoBooks.com

Small tube amp for Stimer

Comments

• badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    out of the price range, but I always wanted one of these Vero 20th Century limited amps:
    tcl_twotone.jpg
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    wicked cool! I want one..... :D:D:D
    That Vero is delicious.
  • RicardoRicardo Cornwall UKNew
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been considering the Fender Pro junior and the Champion 600. I like the style of the latter however i'm concerned that there will be little control over tone, as it only has volume.
    I'm after the late Django sound so want a bit of tube distortion. Volume wise, it only needs to boost small gigs in Art galleries/cafes etc as I prefer to play acoustically when possible. There's not much price difference between a Pro junior and a Blues Junior - would the blues junior be a better bet given it's extras and the bigger wattage?
    Not now dear, I have a terrible Djangover.
    I know a lot of people love the pro jr, but when I used one with a Dearmond, it sounded very harsh. While I never had a chance to a/b the two amps at the same time, the champion 600 seems a bit warmer to me at all volumes and definitely seems to break up better. The tone controls can be an issue, but you may want to think about an eq pedal or something like that if you have an issue. I've found that the tone controls on most fender amps really color the sound and don't necessarily control the tone in a way that is helpful for guitars that are too far from what they are designed for, e.g. a telecaster. If I were you I'd take my guitar to the local fender dealer and play them both. There's no substitute for first-hand experience!
    **double post
  • BlueNoteBlueNote FinlandNew
    Ricardo wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been considering the Fender Pro junior and the Champion 600. I like the style of the latter however i'm concerned that there will be little control over tone, as it only has volume.
    I'm after the late Django sound so want a bit of tube distortion. Volume wise, it only needs to boost small gigs in Art galleries/cafes etc as I prefer to play acoustically when possible. There's not much price difference between a Pro junior and a Blues Junior - would the blues junior be a better bet given it's extras and the bigger wattage?

Having owned all of these three amps, I belive you don't want Blues Jr. It is way too loud and stiff sounding. Pro Jr. could work but it is loud too and doesn't sound like fifties amp.

Champion 600 is real good and authentic sounding after little mods (that will void the warranty, too bad...). I can't understand why Fender chose to use blackface type circuitry with serious middle scoop instead of original tweed design. It sounds weaker and stiffer, maybe intended for distortion pedals and all that nonsense.

1. lift ground end of resistor R19 to remove tone stack.
    2. disconnect negative feedback loop by lifting the other end of resistor R7
    3. you need to change the grill cloth. Stock one is too thick and blocks sound, especially highs.

If you don't know how to safely work on tube amps, take it to a qualified tech. It's only 15-20 minute job.

After these mods it sounds like old amp with softer touch and it's a lot louder than stock or real fifties 5F1 Champ.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I use an old Princeton Reverb with my Stimer/Favino and and it gives a great late-Django sound. The nearest thing to it I've heard is the Fender Blues Junior. I don't think that the Pro Jr has a reverb tank. It does not have a reverb control - it doesn't have many controls, only two knobs. What - volume and tone? The Blues Jr does not cost much more and would be a lot more versatile. You need a bit of reverb to get the best sound. It's not a Princeton but it's still a Fender class AB tube amp with a great fat sound. That sound is hard to beat. MHO anyway.
    BlueNote, I'm trying out your mods. If I don't post anything in the next week, everybody can just assume that I've electrocuted myself.
  • RicardoRicardo Cornwall UKNew
    Bluenote - were you using a Stimer on those three Amps?
    Not now dear, I have a terrible Djangover.