DjangoBooks.com

an absolutely amazing article on music and life.

HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 147
One of the musicians in my R&B band just forwarded this to me.
It is well worth reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01721.html

cheers,
Barry HCPhilly

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    busking in a spot where people are just walking by isn't the best idea. it's better to busk where people are waiting, so that they can feel like they're getting their money's worth.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    another trick is to occasionally collect the money in front of people, as if you're finished. for some reason, this elicits tips.

i also think that there is a different type of relationship between the artist and the people in a concert hall vs. those waiting for the train. in the subway, you really have to pay attention to individuals, where as in a concert hall it's the crowd mentality. and, there's less freedom of expression for an audience in a concert hall.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    I really thought that the article had a lot to say
    about art and life. [Joshua Bell, evidently isn't too concerned about maximizing his take from busking, which is a good thing] :)
    B
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I remember reading this when it first came out...it's an interesting experiment, not about busking, but about how context influences our perception of things. I'm sure at least a few of those people that passed by had paid good money to hear Bell in a concert hall. It's a similar story to the masterpiece painting found sitting in a thrift store.

I would be into a good thread about busking tips and tricks, though!

best,
    Jack.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    another tip. if you're done- if you're not feeling it, either stop, or get your shit together and feel it. people can tell, consciously or subconsciously when your just grinding away mindlessly/soulessly.

also, look up at people.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I guess I don't get the point. I was in NYC and saw a pair doing their ballet routine in their outfits on a street corner and they pulled in $50 in 15 minutes. What does that say?
    Maybe Joushua should wear a tutu!
    I thought that the article was pretty interesting.
    We're all going to draw our own conclusions of course.
    Cheers,
    Barr
    I remember when that came out as well, and I remember thinking how different the buskers were in Paris- those cats are hustling! On their public rail (metro?) a guy would run in your train car, play for maybe 2 minutes, then right before the next stop he'd hustle around with a cup, make a few bucks, then run to the next car on the train - this is a bit easier with a one-man-band instrument like an accordion, but it did contrast with the sort of bored, aimless playing I often see in downtown Chicago (which often generates little to no interest).
    Carter,

New York's got hustle too baby!
    I stayed up in Harlem during the week of the Birdland show,
    and took the subway to the shows. The best routine that I saw were
    two Latino guys singing Mexican Folk songs with guitar and accordion. Same deal, they're on and off, and I gave them a few bucks and wished them Buena suerte.
    Cheers,
    Barr
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    It's been so long since I lived in PA I forgot how musiciand have to stand on fridgid street corners to make a buck...