DjangoBooks.com

New Guitars: Saga Cigano GJ-10 and GJ-15

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I was speaking of the GJ-15 not the GJ-10. I have played both models but only 2 of the GJ-10s and about 6 of the GJ-15s. I guess I missed the part about you talking about a GJ-10.

But the neck on the GJ-15 is thinner then any other Gitane.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    another problem that makes me wonder if there is a problem in the set up (along with the extra high) is the tuning. it was a little difficult to tune by octaves so i bought a digital tuner to check. anyhow after i tune all the open strings with the tuner- then trying an a on the bass e string is coming up too sharp on the tuner. same thing for all the other strings.

am i being too picky? to the ear the chords sound ok but i havent got an excellnt ear either.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    It sounds like your bridge is definitely too high.
    A standard high action for these guitars would be 4mm for the low E and a little less, 3.5mm for the high E.
    And that is high... on some guitars, some people go as low as 2.5 for the low E.
    I suggest you either lower your bridge or get a replacement.
    You can get bridges from Josh Hegg at this site, other popular choices would be Dupont or Dell Arte.
    The intonation problem you are having may very well be linked to the higher than normal action, you're in effect bending the strings each time you fret them...

I see you're in Paris (wonderful city by the way!!!) you can try bringing your guitar to Francois Charle shop at the Galerie Vero Dodat, he'll surely be of help.
    http://www.rfcharle.com/

Good luck!!!
    Enrique.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    I was speaking of the GJ-15 not the GJ-10. I have played both models but only 2 of the GJ-10s and about 6 of the GJ-15s. I guess I missed the part about you talking about a GJ-10.

But the neck on the GJ-15 is thinner then any other Gitane.

We were talking about the GJ-15, which is the D-hole model. The GJ-10 is the oval hole which apparently has a thin, tilted-back neck and a tall bridge with B-string compensation. The GJ-15 is pretty close to the D-500 in specs, which is what I was originally asking about, and what some others in this thread were saying.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Spud, it is possible your bridge extensions are in the wrong position. Move the bridge so the top and bottom strings are in tune at the 0 and 12 frets.
    asd123321 and BluesBop Harry,
    thank you for the advice. this is my manouche guitar so i am totally new to this and will ask obvious questions. if this is not the right topic please let me know of any links i should folllow.
    what is my bridge extension- is it what i think is the bridge? how do i move it? is it glued in placed or just held down with the tension of the strings? can i just order another bridge- for example a dupont and replace it myself or should i leave it to a shop?
    i'm not in paris at the moment so can't return the guitar- but can probably find someone in this area who knows what they are doing.
    many thanks
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The bridge extensions would be the edges of the "moustache". They are glued on, but the center, the bridge itself, is movable and so you can intonate your guitar by moving it. Usually you only adjust it so both E's are in tune.
    You can order a Dupont bridge or maybe a good luthier can make one for you, I've heard great things about the bridges Josh Hegg makes too.
    It is not too hard to fit a new bridge by yourself but a luthier can do it faster and likely better than you for a small fee.
    You can also ask around how to modify the bridge you already have if you're willing to.
    Cheers!
    do i need to loosen the tension before i start sliding around the bridge, or can i just start trying to move it as is.
    is it common to receive a new guitar and have to do these sorts of adjustments?
    update- so lucky for me. not in paris at the moment but a small town in francecalled nevers. and just around the corner found a gentleman who can help me; he has restraightened the trussrod, and is modifying the bridge-action already brought down and tonight he is working on the tuning and adjusting. all for nothing but i must at least offer him a nice bottle of wine. will see how it all goes tomorrow.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Great news! Salut!