DjangoBooks.com

Are the Cijano bridges any better

than the Saga 250? Looking in the pictures at Elderly, they look different. What was wrong with the 250? Does the GJ 10 sound the same as a 250 or how much different?

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    they are the same.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Sorry but they are not the same.

The neck angle and the top arch on the GJ 10 are much more drastic then on the 250. This makes the bridge much higher on the GJ 10 then on the 250. The GJ would be an amazing guitar (in my opinion) if the neck was not so thin. It might be the thinnest neck ever made. So if you like an ultra thin neck then the GJ 10 is the guitar for you at an amazing deal.

All that being said... The "new" saga bridge is only about .5% better then the old one. Still way too heavy. I think they do this just to be safe so that it wont break in shipping or something. Any how... I like the direction that Saga is going with the new specs. I can only hope that they will make a DG-300 with the new neck angle and top arch. That would be sweet. On that note the 330 is basically the DG-300 with the new specs. However the black with white pearl turns me off. But the guitar sounds and plays like a dream.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I thought the neck on my 250M was the thinnest neck ever made. Way too thin - doesn't give you much leverage.

But since you asked about bridges, Josh made a bridge for me and it's great - much lighter and a tremendous improvement over the stock bridge. I think they sell them through the store on this site and they're well worth it.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Would this just be a matter of thinning the sides of the bridge with a belt sander keeping the base the same to fix it? Maybe you could run an experiment and see if it could be fixed.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I can't speak for this model's bridge, but I have taken my original Gitane John Jorgenson's bridge and routed out the underneath with a 60 degree router bit. Basically, I doubled the volume of the removed wood to be much like the underside of the Dupont bridge. I also put a chamfer on the underside of the ends so that they "fly" like the Dupont , and original Selmer bridges. This lowered the mass of the bridge while keeping the fit, hight and intonation.
    The result was amazing. It sounds very much like the Dupont bridge.

Don't take the mass off the sides or top, but rather from the hollowed out section. If you are very steady-handed you might be able to do this with a Dremel tool. You don't get any second chances, so be very careful.
  • artillerie_lourdeartillerie_lourde Across the PondNew
    I was over Heretic's yesterday evening with the routed out Gitane bridge and was very impressed with the sound and volume. As he said, very similar to the Dupont bridge.
    Neville