DjangoBooks.com

Ted is Cool - Favino Workshop

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
Ted just spent a few days with J.P. Favino at his workshop in Toulouse. He picked up his new guitar which he'd been waiting 2 years for....looks sweet!

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Looks good, bet it sounds great. Just out of curiosity, what does a JP Favino go for new these days? Is two years about the going wait?

Craig
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Ted,

If you feel like it, could you write a little review of the process of ordering and picking up a JP Favino and what the experience was like? Maybe some shop talk. I gather you are a fan, so I will expect lots of superlatives. :lol:

Craig Bumgarner
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This is Ted's 2nd JP Favino, so he knows the ropes by now!

I believe there's at least a one year wait, often two. I think he's only building 6 guitars a year, and the basic models go for around $6K....but with options can be much higher.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    He maybe building only 6 GJ guitars a year...
    However, what about the other 9 or so models he builds...
    I can just imagine they are just as sought after as his GJ guitars...
    Ted would know much JP spends on GJ or other models in a year...
    Ted's first Favino is killer... ( Love the ebony tail pieces )
    Thanks for posting the photo... A kid in a candy shop, plus the VOX amp!Had one in the late 60's...Wish I still had it...
    A.K.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    sounds like the kind of vacation that you remember your whole life...
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Congrats Ted!

You're livin the dream, baby - and you deserve it. James Brown may have been the hardest working man in show business but you're surely somewhere there in the top 10.

So... Make with the details already - you're a proud new father so hand out those cigars and give us the details! What's it made of? Does it have redwood bracing like your last one? I know it's probably still in that phase where it's opening up a lot each day/week, but are you getting any indications about the voice yet?

Again - Congratulations!

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ted brought this guitar down to the jam session on Monday. What can I say, it's another winner from JP Favino!

It's a really interesting guitar. He has completely gotten away from the over sized dimensions of traditional Favino guitars. This guitar has a short scale length. Seemed close to 25.5". A small body, with a very narrow depth. Only about 2". Really small, light, and very, very buttery. Plays like an electric, which is what he seems to be going for. An acoustic jazz guitar that plays easily and allows for more a modern technique and repertoire.

The top, interestingly, is made of pine. JP is now making most of his guitars with pine, not spruce. Back and sides are really, really nice Brazilian rosewood.

It still has a lot of Favino characteristics. More balanced then a Selmer..with a really cool, tight, low mid presence. The high end is snappy, but less so then older Favino designs. This guitar is warm, warm, warm. Doesn't have one bit of harshness.

It's the perfect guitar for someone who wants a Gypsy-esque sound, but still needs the playability of a low action archtop. It's got some spunk, but might struggle a bit around the campfire. But sounds great amplified, and has enough volume for most acoustic situations as well.

Also, it has JP's own homemade pickup. It's some sort of piezo...sounds really good.

Overall, a really cool guitar that represents the pinnacle of the Favino design.

Anyone got $7K I can borrow? :D

'm