DjangoBooks.com

MichMich(Dennis)'s DVD review

ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
edited December 2010 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 90
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received Dennis' DVD. I thought i'd post a review here for those interested.

Let's start with a small overview

The dvd lasts for 2:30 and is divided in 3 parts.
  1. First part is designed as a master class during which Dennis shows the various "pompe", waltz, bossa and funk rythms. He also covers the rythmic "breaks"/"Rythmic variation" whatever you call them. There are 3 students with him. Dennis gives them some "assignements" and then tell them what's right/wrong.
  2. Second Part is focused on Chords voicings and chord progressions. Common and less common voicings are covered (3notes chords/Django's chords/Joseph's chords). Dennis then moves on common chord progressions, showing some specific voicings, some way to embellish them and some way to simplify them. He then wraps everything up with a huge number of intros and ending in both major and minor.
  3. Last part is a series of questions asked by students from the first part. This covers some intersting points such as "My mediator is sliding while I do rythm" to "What practice should we do beside this dvd".
The running time breaks down to 1:15 for the rythm part, 1:05 for chords, and ten minutes for the questions.

First impression : Damn this is dense ! 2:30 is a pretty long time for an instructional DVD, but this one is packed full of information. It's not the kind of DVD you watch watch through once with your guitar and then you put it on the shelf. I think it'll take one 3 to 6months to really assimilate the advices and to master the exercises.
What's paradoxal is that, despite of the huge quantity of information, Dennis takes the time to detail the important points (with close ups on the right or let hands depending on the exercise).
Then, the Master Class format of the first part is really a good idea. The 3 students have a diffent level and specific "problems". This, imo, covers most of the mistakes one can do. Here too, Dennis takes time to explain what's right/wrong with each student. One small regret I have concerning this section is that the Waltz rythm coverage is really light. I would have appreciated a little less funk tyhm and a little bit more waltz, but that's just my opinion. An other point I regret is that though Dennis' sound is great, the sound of the student guitars are too low (But that might come from my audio installation so this might not be the case for you)
The exercises are really great (and haaard !!) and well targeted (some of them seems to come from a certain Mister Fapy L. from Holland ;) )
My single true regret is that the French subtitles are bad. But then, most of you won't care :)

To sum up, I think that's a great DVD on a subject that's often underestimated by other instructional material. There's no written material with it and that's a good thing. Dennis says pretty much the same thing that Mandino Reinhard told during a master class. You have to learn "on the spot" with your ears and not your reading. Of course this means you have to keep your remote control near your guitar to rewind.

To really sum up :D, if you're a beginer, or if you're not satisfied with your "pompe" or if you want to go beyond the basic "pompe", you know where to head for :arrow: http://www.hyperhipmedia.com/HM0006.html
my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com

Comments

• GregHBGregHB New YorkNew
    I just recieved the DVD and it is totally kicking my ass! I only watched the first thirty minutes or so before realizing that I could work on what was presented for a few weeks before moving forward. I own two or three dvds on gypsy jazz rhythm and have never come across some of the things that Denis teaches. He really tackles many subtle nuances of this style which seem to have been glossed over in some of my other materials, yet which seem to be crucial for creating the proper effect. I use think I was getting some where with my rhythm playing, but now realize I have a very long way to go. :cry:
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    thanks guys, i'm glad you enjoyed the DVD, the guys at manoucheries.com seem to be loving it, and it's selling really really well so it's encouraging to know... And i'm sure with michael's book coming out soon, there will be no more excuse to play bad rhythm!!!
  • DiggerDigger New
    Is this dvd available through any outlet that will allow me to use my credit card and not oblige me to open a pay pal account?
    if i'm not mistaken, you don't need a paypal account to order it through hyperhipmedia... it takes you to the paypal site, but u don't need a paypal membership to use your credit card
  • DiggerDigger New
    dennis wrote:
    if i'm not mistaken, you don't need a paypal account to order it through hyperhipmedia... it takes you to the paypal site, but u don't need a paypal membership to use your credit card

It does claim to accept Mastercard, but constantly refuses to accept mine or my wife's.
    i don't handle the sales but i would suggest you take this up with the guy who runs hyperhip media (Wayne)

HyperHip Media

416 755-4055

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

please let him know your exact problems so that it can be rectified for future customers!

thanks !!!
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I had the same problem - the site wouldn't take my credit card. It kept insisting that I pick a province, instead of a US state (I live in the US). I was able to buy it with my paypal account, fortunately.

Charlie
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    When you select "Pay by Credit Card" you are taken to a page called "Billing Information". At the top of this page is a pull-down menu for "Country".

If you select USA the entire page reloads with a pulldown menu for "States" instead of "Provinces".

If anyone has any problems please contact me, not Dennis at:

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Cheers

Wayne Nakamura
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I should have had my eyes open while trying to order!

Charlie
    Is hyperhipmedia defunct?