DjangoBooks.com

band in a box?

pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
edited January 2007 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 245
I'm curious to know what people think of Band-in-a-Box? Useful, annoying, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Paul
Reject the null hypothesis.

Comments

• andyandy New
    I think it's excellent and practice with it all the time, though I gave up using the awful "Django" setting ages ago and now use only "bass n'brushes" or occassionally "Bill Evans Left Hand," and record myself comping to get practice doing that too. "Real" play-alongs sound better of course (unless you have a Midi module or super-duper soundcard), but nothing gives you the versatility to make key and tempo changes on the fly, access to vast amounts of material via the downloadable fake books, and make practice cds you can carry about with you.

Are you thinking of getting it, or just unsure whether you like it?

Cheers,
    Andy
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I'm thinking of getting it. I was about to buy it and then thought I should check to see what other people's impressions are. Thanks for the comments. It seems like a great idea.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Paul,

If you get it, there's a file somewhere of a ton of gypsy jazz and swing tunes to get you going. It's in one of the yahoo groups, I think. Let me know if you want it but can't find it...

Best,
    Jack.
    Well I got it. Let the fun begin. Jack, is the file you mentioned the one from Anouman.net? If so, I just got it.

Thanks!

-Paul
  • djangolindjangolin Memphis, TNNew
    I've got BIAB but haven't run across this file of gypsy/swing tunes. I'm very interested in getting it but couldn't find it at the anouman.net site. Any direction to a location or PM would be appreciated.

Mark
    http://anouman.net/blog/index.php?title=gypsy_jazz_fake_book_for_band_in_a_box_s&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

That's the url that I found on yahoo groups. You'll need an unzipping program as well.

-Paul
  • djangolindjangolin Memphis, TNNew
    Got it! Thanks Paul.

Mark
  • raybrightraybright New
    I love Band In A Box, but have only one Django tune, "I'll See You In My Dreams" with only a few bars of the solo.

Does any have the whole solo? Or any "must have" BIAB files?

I'll Post my "I'll See You In My Dreams" file, as soon as I can find it.

In fact, I'd love to have the sheet for "I'll See You In My Dreams" -

Ray
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ray,

You'll find plenty of versions, from plain lead sheets to fully transcribed solos, at the links here:
    viewtopic.php?t=121

Best,
    Jack.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I'm not very fluent in Band in a Box, but have version 12. Does anyone know a good style for gypsy waltzes?

Craig