DjangoBooks.com

J'attendrai

GadjangoGadjango New
edited March 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 26
Does anyone know the intro chords to this tune? I've been listening to the movie version (the old film of the hot club playing this) and to Jorgenson's version and can't quite get the voicings.

It sounds like some form of C/Am/G/C, but I'm not sure where the chords are played or what extensions some of them have, i.e. I'm 90% sure that Jorgenson's version starts with a C6 played on the 8th fret, but after that I can't tell if he's just playing straight bar chords or what. I mention the Jorgenson version as it seems extremely faithul to the original (albeit without the violin solo) and the fidelity makes it easier to make out some bits.

- Jason

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jason,

When you say intro chords, do you mean the extended bit from the movie, or just the usual four bar turnaround intro?

If the latter, I've seen some people play something like this-you'll have to play with it a bit. Try 2 beats for the first six chords, then walk up to the G.

C6 Am F G13/b9 C6 Am F F# G
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -3---5----6-----5-----3-----5---6----7------8----------------------------------------------
    -2---5----5-----4-----2-----5---5----6------7----------------------------------------------
    -2---5----3-----3-----2-----5---3----4------5---------------------------------------------
    -3---------------------3------------------------------------------------------------
    ------5---5-----4-----------5----5----6------7--------------------------------------------

I'd also say listen to some of Tchavolo's takes on this...he does a lot of classic stuff.

Best,
    Jack.
  • GadjangoGadjango New
    Not the extended solo intro, just the little 4 bar thing at the beginning. Upon further investigation it sounds like C6 Am7 F6 G6. Like so:

---------------------
    --8---5---3---5----
    --9---5---2---4----
    --7---5---3---5----
    --x---x---3---5----
    --8---5---1---3----

That's my guess at what it looks like Django is playing in the clip, though he plays variations on the F6 and G6 chords on the middle 3 strings.

I know this is pretty simple, but I'm new to this stuff and a lot of the voicings still throw me, no matter how simple.

Do the above chords look more correct?

- Jason
    Jason,

The chord names seem fine; I think you'll hear different voicings from album to album, so I'd say simply go with what you like.

Best,
    Jack.
    I know Jason was only looking for the standard intro, but thought someone might enjoy the film version, if they haven't heard it...

Enjoy,
    Jack.
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I love this tune i have it on 'Franco-American swing' album. Some one out their must have a lead sheet for this song???

Any one?
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Have you tried the Powertab and TABedit files here? I think the 1938 one might be straight from the movie.

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    I have trancribed the entire song including the intro chords in a powertab file, except for the solo, which someone else has already done (so pointless for me to re-transcribe it). Anyhow, if I can find the file on my computer I could email it to you if you want it? Just let me know.
  • JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051
    Search YouTube for Rina Ketty doing this tune.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=686LtYMXC64
    There's a little bridge section or verse that always seems to get left out in most versions I've heard.
    I'm attaching my transcription, but it is in G, so you'll just have to transpose to the popular C for now.
    E=Fb : The Theory of Relativity
  • josh27josh27 MANew
    Shawn wrote:
    I have trancribed the entire song including the intro chords in a powertab file, except for the solo, which someone else has already done (so pointless for me to re-transcribe it). Anyhow, if I can find the file on my computer I could email it to you if you want it? Just let me know.

If anyone has this file could they send it my way? I sent Shawn a message but it looks like he hasn't been around here in months.
  • Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    The Nolan Gig Book has it as: C-Am-F-G C-Am-F-F#-G

Here's Tchavolo doing it, the above chords seem right although he looks like he plays C6 and G6, and doesn't play chords (but licks) for the second part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iNnWVsznik