DjangoBooks.com

Someone parse this lick for me.

djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
edited December 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,018
I think this one sounds cool. Can anybody explain it with music theory? Youll have to cut and paste it into a text editor in order to read it.

[code]|----------------------------------------------------------------12-15-13
|-------------------------------------------10-13-------11-14-13---------
|--------------------------7-10-----8-11-10-------10-11------------------
|------------5-8-----6-9-8------8-9--------------------------------------
|------4-7-6-----6-7-----------------------------------------------------
|--4-5-------------------------------------------------------------------[/code]

My guess is that this lick is completely useless. Is it?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    syntactically, it makes no sense, but it can still work as long as you resolve the sequence.... for example , the way you wrote it it can work very well over an A7 going to Dm (the last note being an F natural ie minor 3rd of Dm)... it can also be a C7 chord resolving to F .. stuff like that
    I think this lick roughly falls into the "diminished sequence" vocabulary. I can see a simple melodic structure (first 7 notes) being repeated in intervals of a tritone.

The basic concept using diminished sequences like this is that any lick can be repeated in intervals of minor 3rds or multiples of minor 3rds (2 x minor 3rds equals a tritone).

Oh, and nice lick!

EDIT:
    taking a second look made me realize that it's not necessarily sequencing in tritones. I have absolutely no idea how to explain your lick with theory.