DjangoBooks.com

NY Gypsy Jazz Workshop with Stephane Wrembel

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited December 2006 in North America Posts: 6,153
New York City area Django enthusiasts, look for Stephane Wrembel, native French and premiere Gypsy Jazz guitarist to present a Gypsy Jazz Guitar Workshop, Sunday, Dec. 3 at Manny's Hat Mall, 28 West 38th Street NY, NY. Wrembel has studied and played with many of Europe's finest, and is the real deal, as anybody who is involved in this genre of music will attest.

Though the workshop is guitar-oriented, mandolinists and other instrumentalists ought to be able to glean some valuable insight. About the workshop, Wrembel offers, "I will propose a workshop based on rhythm and improvisation. Improvising is not about the relationship between scales and chords, but about inventing melodies on the spot. So for that you need to understand the way melody works, the different structures, and how to use rhythm to build them. Because at the end, rhythm is the key, the right note at the right spot, for a harmonious effect. Also, we'll work on interpretation ideas, how to play melodies, and we'll work on unlocking the fingerboard, through my personal system, the MIB chart."

Comments

• czeckoczecko ✭✭✭
    I took this. It was awesome. Stephan is a great player and a really cool guy. Tons of charisma and character and chops galore. The class was small, everyone was great, we all learned alot, had lunch together and went home with tons o' stuff to work on. Anyone who decides to throw another one of these in or around NYC, I'm definitely there.