DjangoBooks.com

A7 lick...

edited December 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 145
Here's another one for A7. This one is something I came up with. Inspired by Bireli and Andreas. The use of the major pentatonic scale can yield some interesting results over dominant chords depending on what degree the scale is built on. In this idea, I connect a typical gypsy jazz style A9 triplet pattern to a descending Eb major pentatonic scale. The idea here is to play the pentatonic over the b5 (i.e. tritone substitution).

Pay attention to how the sound "opens up" - I.E. larger interval leaps. This is something that was pioneered by McCoy Tyner and Coltrane. A good example of how to integrate modern ideas into a gypsy jazz style.

I'm assuming you know what "grip" of A7 this is based off of.

Comments

• MarioMario Berlin, GermanyNew
    Hmmm...for some reason I can't see anything...is this just me or has the file gone astray?
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Nope me either. :?
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    It doesn't appear here, but if I4m using firefox and I managed to get it by right clicking, choosing "Page Infos" at the bottom, going to the media tab, and choosing files/a7_lick_127.tif and clicking "save as"
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
    Yeah, my download-manager gives me a similiar option. I'm just wondering why my browser doesn't show the image, where I strongly believe he did before. Never mind.
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    I think it's because ".tif" images are note supported by the forum (not 100% sure).
    I should work well with other images
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
    Fixed!
    I guess no one likes this lick?

If I don't get any feedback, how will I know if I should post some more?
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    I sure like the lick, I'm sure others do as well and appreciate such things, just dont always comment.

Please do share more!

-Chuck
    Oh yeah, sorry...I second Duozona!

While fussing about the broken link, I actually forgot about the lick itself...sorry!