DjangoBooks.com

strings that don't rust?

I live in a very humid tropical climate and the Argentine strings are rapidly rusting. Can anyone recommend similar strings that might last longer?
Thanks,
Cameron

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You might try the Galli GSB or GSL. Both have a special coating that is supposed to protect the string.

Galli Gypsy Strings GSB10 (1 Set)

Galli
    Gypsy Strings GSB10 (1 Set)

Galli Gypsy Strings GSL10 (1 Set)

Galli
    Gypsy Strings GSL10 (1 Set)

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Also - have you tried anything like "Fast Fret" - basically a cleaner and oil.

People who have acidic sweat have to clean their strings all the time or they erode like iron in seawater.

The only strings I know of that are "rust proof" are the GHS White Bronze but I don't know how they'd sound on a Gypsy guitar. They make them as light as 11's - 46's... I use them on my Martin Backpacker guitar because it goes for long periods of time without use and then travels with me to someplace warm and humid. Normal strings get green quick but the GHS White Bronze seem to be ageless and they actually give it a fair amount of "Gypsy guitar crunch" but I don't know what they'd do for a real GJ guitar - probably would be very bright. If nothing else works - they will at least keep things from rusting.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    You could try playing more.... (if you play every day then sorry for the stab)

You might try a string coating as Bob mentions. Also there is a cream polish called OZ that you could use. A small amount on a rag and applied to the stings will coat the strings and keep moister away.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • daddyfruitdaddyfruit SaipanNew
    Thanks to one and all for the tips. Since I like to blame my equipment I'll try the strings first.
    Cameron