DjangoBooks.com

Cymbalom Style

edited September 2010 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 145
Hi, I've been taking lessons from Lache Cercil and he showed me some interesting cymbalom style accompaniment and now I'm interested in other aspects of playing guitar like a cymbalom.

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be good if you told us about cymbalom style accompaniment.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've got one example in the Gypsy picking book of a cymbalom type of idea. Have you tried that?
    Yeah. I want to learn some new cymbalom licks.
    Boulou and Elios Ferre are the masters of that. Check out these CDs:

imagePour Django" border="0"
    width="100">

imageGypsy Dreams" border="0"
    width="100">

Below I atatched a recording of Nello Mirando playing the Rom tune [i]Iboya[/i]. It's one of the most cymbalom-esque peices I've heard. The Mirando family is the [i]other[/i] big Gypsy music family in The Netherlands. They mostly play Hungarian stuff...not much Gypsy Jazz.

You should also check out Angelo Debarre's solo piece [i]Vieux Tzigane[/i]. Also very cymbalom like.

imageImpromptu" border="0" width="100">

Thanks a lot Michael!
    Check this Boulou cut out:
    Wow... :shock:

I'm absolutely floored by Boulou's playing, every time. I didn't know he was capable of playing the folky stuff. I guess being in the jazz world makes me forget that a lot of the gypsy jazz players can probably play this stuff.

On which record can I find more of this type of stuff from Boulou?
    He does a lot of Hungarian/Romanian type of stuff on the early CDs:

imagePour Django" border="0"
    width="100">

imageGypsy Dreams" border="0"
    width="100">

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Wow... :shock:

I'm absolutely floored by Boulou's playing, every time. I didn't know he was capable of playing the folky stuff. I guess being in the jazz world makes me forget that a lot of the gypsy jazz players can probably play this stuff.

On which record can I find more of this type of stuff from Boulou?

Buy the Matelot CD first. This is almost a postmodern pastiche compared to it.
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    As far as learning what cimbalom plalyers do for backup, why not listen to cimbalom players? There are some very standard motifs that they use which are very playable on guitar and fairly easy to pickup. Most of these involve arpeggios and using an uppernote as a pedal. If you want to hear some really spectacular cimbalom playing find some recordings of Toni Iordache. He is one of Romania's finest. As PS, you certainly can't go wrong listening to the Matelot Ferret CD. The cimbalom playing is not typical but the blend of the cimbalom and Matelot's gorgeous guitar playing makes it a unique and standout musical offering.

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom