DjangoBooks.com

Hot out of the Case - DG-320

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
Just got a DG-320 in today. This is the first I have seen in person. So I'm going to do a bit of a write up and give my first impressions.

I had a chance to play it for about 15 min this evening and my first thought was... BOOOOM! This guitar has "mass bass". Also it is very, VERY loud. If you are shy in the jam circle this is not the guitar to start with. After I had a chance to play it for a sec I gave it a good look over.

The neck feels the same as the DG-300 and it is the same finish and workmanship as the 300. A solid guitar. The tuners and tailpiece are the same. The major difference is the D hole, extended fret board and tone. Nice arching on the top plate and the neck angel looks really nice. Came set up a little low and the bridge is the signature Saga stock bridge. (this leads me to the tone)... WET... This guitar has allot of different tones running around. I'm trying hard to put what I hear in to words. It is very full and has allot of low end. I can't say that it is a balanced sounding instrument. The bass is really hot and the highs are ring heavy. The mids are really not theremuch. Keep in mind this is right out of the box. Nothing done except tune up and play. I feel that with a good bridge, like the 300, the voice of this guitar will come out. As is set up now I hear the heavy bridge and all the harsh tones that come with the factory set up. That being said... If you like ALOT of bass and a supper loud guitar the 320 is it. My gut feeling is that this guitar will be hard to amplify. So if you are planning on gigging really do your home work before taking it live. For rhythm this guitar could be obnoxiously over bearing and the player should take care to play lightly knowing that they can play all night and not get tired. For lead this guitar rings out with long sustain and crisp attack.

All in all the DG-320 will make a fun guitar to play and with the proper bridge and set, like the 300, it will make a good guitar.

I know that I have given a very general over view so any and all questions are welcome.

Cheers,
Josh

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Wow!

So, not to sound judgemental of the wonderful company that Saga is - and Adrian - who is a wonderful product manager for the Gitane brand (and a heck of a nice guy and good guitar player to boot) but ... WTF happened to the great bridge they had on the prototype 320 at NAMM? It was a Dupont style with a compensated B string... a really monstrously cool bridge - legit looking - legit sounding - but with a compensated B... which basically cured any gripe I've ever had with stock Selmer/Dupont bridges.

I have such respect for Saga - they make a dollar's worth of guitar sound better than anyone else. I simply do not understand the adherence to that wacky bridge. Literally everything else on those guitars is legit or within spitting distance of being legit... except those briges. It's not like they're getting no feedback on it either. Read any post on Gitanes from their initial launch of the 250's till present time and you'll hear these two themes repeat:
    1.) Damn, those are nice guitars for the price.
    2.) What's with the wacky bridge?

I'm stumped. it's simply confusing at this point. I'm still a raging Gitane fan - simply stumped by the bridge thing.

Well - Thanks for the report, Josh - gotta go - time to go put the dogs in and start blowing things up... it's getting dark & the neighbor kids are getting restless... bottle rockets starting to trace into the sky over our usually pleasant and peaceful little burg. Ah the classic American holidy. Celebrating our country's freedom by blowing small portions of it up while drinking alcohol and grilling meat. :)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Josh:

Sounds like an interesting guitar. I have a DG250, so I'm familiar with the construction.

A couple questions about the neck if I may (I have not had the opportunity to see or play a DG-300). Is is C shaped or D shaped? What is the width at the nut. What is the neck thickness at the 1st fret and at the 12th.

Thanks,

Craig
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The neck shape is C and D shaped a bit. It is a little flatter on the back D shaped and then as it works up to the body it rounds out C shaped. Like the Selmer necks in the #807 and after. I'm sure they are a little different but close and very nice. As for the measurements I'll have to post those at another time. I don't have the guitar right here. I'll get them and post them soon.

Bob... as for the bridge... I think they (Saga) thinks people are going to end up changing the bridge any why so why change production.

Cheers,
    Josh