DjangoBooks.com

Gitane 340

What do you guys think of this guitar? Anyone have one? Just looking for some insight

thanks

Comments

• Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    I own this guitar and I love it.
    I haven't changed a thing on it. As michael says on here, it has a pretty "arch top" sound.
    Its pretty wet sounding. I like the look of it a lot too, I really dig the lack if inlays and the sort of austereness of it.
    No it's not as great as a handmade one, but i like it better than the 255 or the 300.
    Maybe it would benefit from a new bridge, but at this point I'm not worried about that.
    If you have any specific questions i would be happy to answer them.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    The only one I have ever played is Wrembel's own prototype. I had a DG-300 at the time and thought Stephane's was better. Of course, Stephane probably had something to do with that :roll: , and the fact that his prototype was almost certainly hand-made. Stephane had little input into the design except for the rosette. His comment to me was, "I don't know anything about woods." Still, it's a nice guitar. I don't remember alot about the specific tone of that particular guitar, but it probably was different than the production models anyway.

I would recommend replacing the bridge with a Dupont, as soon as you can afford it. It usually makes a huge difference with Gitanes. Or Josh Hegg can make one for you. It will probably make the guitar louder and improve the tone. Gitane bridges, at least when I was playing them, were notoriously awful. I have heard they have improved, but I'd still replace it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    My friend Plaidgadjo has one. It sounds pretty good, especially since he raised the action. It blends nicely with my DG300 and my wife's DG310. Here's a listen:

Djangology

Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Like Michael, I played Stephane's prototype maybe four years ago. I had both my Manouche brand Modele Jazz and Modele Orchestre with me and his guitar beat both. But I would agree that it had to have been tweaked and was definitely watched over closely during the build. If I recall, it had a bone insert for a bridge saddle also.