DjangoBooks.com

Pinky or third finger?

vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
edited December 2011 in Technique Posts: 133
Hi All,

I've been working through Gypsy Picking and videos, and I've noticed almost everyone fingers a diminished run (the variety frequently played over dominants) with the first and third finger. I can finger it this way, but naturally use my pinky (even though I have pretty big fingers). I've unlearned some other fingerings as they were constricting in connecting phrases, but I can't see that being a problem here. What are your opinions? Is there a risk of pinky injury when stretching it out?

thanks!
I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    The only issue I have with using my pinky is that I often run up the diminished arpeggio and the down a minor scale (like the run in Mtn. Ste. Genevieve) and my dexterity with the minor scale using my ring and pinky fingers is not great.

That said, I have definitely had issues trying to stretch my ring finger out for diminished arpeggios and experienced knuckle pain as a result so I usually use my pinky up until the very last note before I switch to some other pattern (so I will use my ring finger at the top of the arpeggio).
  • I suggest getting fluent with both. I often burn up the diminished chord run and then use the pinky to fret another note quickly. Found it useful to do it both ways up and down
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I think with the standard diminished run (going up 2 notes per string) will work pretty well with either the 3rd or 4th finger. But a lot of other arpeggios really work better with the 3rd finger, or in many cases ala Django with the 2nd finger. A lot of Andreas' fingerings in the Gypsy Fire book are like that....he got them mostly from Bireli and there's a conspicuous lack of 4th finger usage (and Andreas is of course fully capable of using his pinky if he wants to.)

M
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    Does anyone have an example of a time when the pinky should definitely not be used? I'm thinking of the G minor arpeggio (i.e. intro of Minor Blues), where a pinky would limit the ability to pull off the A# D G sweep (and then the A).

Thanks Michael, Jazzaferri, and Kevingcox!
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • Why would a pinky limit a pull off. It's my preferred po finger as it is shorter :D
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed