DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

AbbeyLyman TDog test joechoo LatriceCha

Descending patterns and G to D string downstrokes

jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
edited November 2011 in Technique Posts: 73
Friends,

I seem to be stuck in the goal to improve my downstroke, rest/stroke technique, particularly
over descending patterns. When I play descending licks or patterns moving from the high E
towards the low E string, I seem to have a particular issue in moving from the G to the D
string (third to fourth string), when I try to execute a fast pattern at speed. In other
words, I seem to be able to move from high E to B, then B to G strings with the first stroke
being a downstroke, but by the time I move from the G to the D strings, it seems much
harder to start the note on the D string without using an upstroke.

Has anyone else noticed this -- where it seems more difficult to start with the upstroke descending
from G to D string, as opposed to moving from high E to B, B to G, D to Am etc?

Of course, as I type this, I realize I could conduct a test by running a pattern starting on a different
string - for example, if I start a descending riff on a B string, does the problem "shift" to where the downstroke is a challenge on the D to A string...and right now I am not near a guitar to test ;0)

Anyway, any experience with particular challenges would be helpful. I am basically trying to
determine if I just stick to and work to get 100% execution on every first stroke on a new string
is a downstroke, or I accept this as an exception, where I can use an upstroke in a descending
G to D string pattern.