DjangoBooks.com

2011 Holo Modele Nouveau

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    You know, Michael had a really excellent Holo for sale on his site unclaimed for a number of weeks in August and September, so it isn't like people aren't getting a chance. I really hated to see that one get away, but I had just bought another guitar and was in "recovery".

Look, lots of us, me included, would love to get our hands on one of Bob's guitars, but I kind of admire Bob's decision to put his best guitars into the hands of great players. It's the best advertising he can get, and it has nothing to do with who can plunk down the most money. He sells a few through Michael, and not every one has been gone in minutes (see above). I'm lucky enough to know enough great players to have sampled several of Bob's guitars, and that will have to do until I get alot better as a player (never gonna happen...), or I can sweet talk one of Bob's guitars from someone who owns one (fat chance of that!). So if you really want a Holo, there's your incentive to practice ten hours a day to get good enough that Bob places one in your hands. 8)
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Haha... well, thanks for the compliments, but as you say, it's not impossible to get them. I've had a couple stay up for sale for a couple of weeks. Most seem to be going sort of quick though.

By the way, I want to be clear because I don't want to demean the artists' investments. They're buying the guitars and for that I am grateful. I don't prioritize them for marketing purposes, I prioritized those artists because they work really hard at what they do and so when they came to me looking to buy a guitar, I was honored. I'm in awe of what they do. I'm in awe of anyone with the kahunas to not just attempt to make it as a musician, but also who has the drive and talent to do it. To be very clear, I've tried to be one of them. I didn't make it. Close but no cigar, and so I chose a different path. But if I could play, I'd be one of them and not one of me. Make sense? Anyway, that's the way I can respect them and be fair.

But yes, selling on Djangobooks is the only way I can think of to be fair.
    Not telling anyone when they're coming up is the only way I can be fair.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You know, Michael had a really excellent Holo for sale on his site unclaimed for a number of weeks in August and September, so it isn't like people aren't getting a chance. I really hated to see that one get away, but I had just bought another guitar and was in "recovery".
    Michael, I assume you mean the Holo Castelluccia. I too was baffled as to why that one didn't get snapped up right away. As you know, it was patterned after my Castelluccia, which would also make it a close copy of the one Dorado played for many years, most notably on the Bireli Live at Vienne DVD. Those vintage Castelluccias are incredible guitars, and I'm sure Bob's version was as well. If I didn't own the original, I might have bought it myself.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    that's cool, thanks for all the answers, makes more sense to me now, cheers Phil
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    And what about us poor lefties? :(

I was fortunate enough to attend a workshop that Stephan Wrembel was doing last week in London & he was using one of his Holo's. I was a mighty covetable thing, if the wrong way round.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,002
    Yes, Benny, it was the Castelluccia-inspired one with the redwood top. I am told the other Castelluccia-like guitar Bob made for Antoine Boyer was even better, maybe the best Holo yet, but that redwood topped one gave me the cold sweats just looking at it, and it sounded great! I don't know who the lucky bastard is that got it, but I hope it is properly loved. I had just purchased another fabulous guitar and was temporarily broke, or that thing wouldn't have lasted more than a minute, either.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    Redblues' original misconception might actually be the fairest method of selling Bob's highly sought after guitars--auction. My guess is that they would sell at a significantly higher price.
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    I was lucky enough to snag one of Bob's guitars earlier this year, if you really want one bad enough check this website everyday like I did! Since then I've seen 3 Nouveau models and a Castellucia get posted - I gave some serious thought into getting another one but didn't want to be greedy (I know a ton of players waiting to get one) and that would put me over 10 grand spent on guitars this year (a little crazy - even for an obsessed semi-pro like me)

BTW Bob, how's the website coming? When you finally launch it you'll get even more attention and demand for your guitars - but then you probably already knew that!
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    "I am told the other Castelluccia-like guitar Bob made for Antoine Boyer was even better, maybe the best Holo yet,"

I was chatting with Sebastien Boyer via email and he says, "The Bob Holo guitar is amazing, already outstanding and very very promising for the future as well."

No surprise here... Bob is an exceptional builder! AE
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Not only is Bob an exceptional builder, he is an exceptionally nice guy as well.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass