DjangoBooks.com

The Perfect Book

tomcramtomcram St. Louis, MONew
edited November 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 36
Gypsy Picking is the Perfect Book!
Michael has laid out the book in much the same way as classical players learn strings i.e. violin, viola, cello, etc. My daughter is an accomplished Cellist having studied with several members of the St. Louis symphony - string players learn to articulate notes with a bow in at least 15 or 20 different ways. When they learn, they endlessly repeat the same basic techniques for at least 3 - 5 years, more often 5 -7 years. My daughter would come home complaining and crying about her lessons, because her teachers only had two critiques - its right (perfect) or it needs work (translation, it's not right, it's wrong for whatever reason) Lastly, she was never allowed to play an etude, or exercise, that required more technique than she possessed - you crawl, then walk, then jog, then run, and if you persevere, you sprint someday - The slower you go, the faster will be your true real progress! Crawl On - that's what I'm doing right now!
Tom - the old slow picker!
J.T. (Tom) Crammond
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->