DjangoBooks.com

Ibanez Mac 10

I've been offered one of these, does anybody have any experience or information that would be useful. Its a D hole model, 1980, signed by Mario Maccaferri. Sounds fine, but isn't cheap.
Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,
    I have an Ibanez Mac 10, too. Its from 1979 (No. 155) and so I think it is similar to the guitar you have been offered.I bought it new in 1980 and am playing it since then. The price was about 1.200,00 EURO at that time.

What can I say? It is a really fine guitar, sounds very warm and it is getting better from year to year. The perfect guitar if you like that Francis-Alfred Moerman-sound. Of course you´ll have to raise the action until you can play with full volume. Excuse me if I am curious: What is the price of that guitar you are talking about?

Best,
    Barengero
  • graham12300graham12300 glasgow✭✭
    I don't mind at all to tell you that the asking price is £1300.00. Not cheap but it seams comparable with any well made acoustic. I have noticed that it is not fitted with a zero fret! Has it been changed I wonder.
    Also, excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the artists that you mention, are they well known gypsy mucicians?
    It does have a warm tone and felt very easy to play, perhaps the action would need raising. After 20 years of playing , on and off, the gypsy style, rest stroke picking etc is a new avenue to explore for me and I'm keen to get a guitar that will last the distance, and be versatile for other styles.
    Thanks for your reply. All the best.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Also, excuse my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the artists that you mention, are they well known gypsy mucicians?

Hi,
    Francis-Alfred Moerman is a french guitarist who plays an original Maccaferri (D-hole). He had a long friendship with Matelot Ferret and he loves to play these gypsy waltzes. At present time you find his CD "Valses Manouches" (1994) spread all over ebay for little money. I think it would be a good idea to go for this CD if you want to know how that kind of guitar can sound if you know how to handle.

Best,
    Barengero

P.S.: For example here, if you hurry:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/FRANCIS-ALFRED-MOERM ... dZViewItem

P.S. For Moerman look here, too:

http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... _recherche