DjangoBooks.com

Schertler Basik advice

I'm currently using a Basik (no preamp) on the mystery guitar. I'm kind of overwhelmed and get a little lost until I pump the bass and the mids. I'm placing it, as Dennis suggested in another thread awhile ago, directly behind the upper moustache (bass strings). Can anyone who is using this pickup share their experiences? Does a preamp improve the sound of the pickup at all?

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I own one and have used it on different guitars. I found the sweet spot to be near the LOWER (treble) moustache, about half-way between the moustache and lower bout. On a slight angle going back. I also found that is better when sticking it on to roll the putty into a strip and circle it around the edge of the element like a donut. That way there's a thin layer of air between the element and the guitar top. Seems to cut down on extra noise and body resonance. It also helps to loop the cord under and around the tail piece to secure it and keep it from flapping around. This also cuts down on noise. Never tried it thru a pre-amp. Found the gain and tone to be good as is. It's a pretty accurate acoustic sound and better than a piezo IMHO. I roll of the highs on the amp as I prefer a warm sound. They're versatile little pickups. Easy on-off and storage.... and sound good on different instruments.
    Swang on,
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    That's great advice, I've got one and to be honest have only ocassionally got a great sound. It's like I know it's capable of good things I just haven't found the sweet sot. I'll try your tips laters

Cheers
    Alan
    always learning
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The sweet spot will vary with different guitars. Try different locations until you find yours.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Aww. I've been putting a bunch of the putty on the whole element. I'll try the emerald circle and see how that goes. Instead of boosting the bass, I'll cut the treble.
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    I use one of these, and I think it's pretty cool. Although lately, I have been gigging a bunch, and I've gotta say the whole sticking on and off thing gets a bit old. Especially in fast set changes, dark stages and bars etc... Any ideas if you can mount this thing on or in the guitar?
    thanks
    n
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell
  • Yeah, noah. You've described my weekly sit. We play up against a service bar in a restaurant in a very crowded corner that gets a bit boozy as the night gets later, in low lighting, with a lot of foot traffic. I never complain about space at any of my other gigs, because it can't get much tighter than this. We play 2-3 sets, so its on and off with the schertler, with no place to put it. It can get a little tired doing this, but I'm trying to workout a quick routine for this maneuvering.

I tried the emerald halo, cut the treble. It sounded pretty good as a trio and I need to boost treble when another guitar player joined us for the second set. I think the pickup sounded much better to me this way.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    noahfuture wrote:
    I use one of these, and I think it's pretty cool. Although lately, I have been gigging a bunch, and I've gotta say the whole sticking on and off thing gets a bit old. Especially in fast set changes, dark stages and bars etc... Any ideas if you can mount this thing on or in the guitar?
    thanks
    n

The new Stat-Macc has a semi-permanent mounting system:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/pic ... c-set.html

It's also more feedback resistant as the element is in direct contact with both the bridge and the top.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the "emerald halo" LOL....sounds better than donut. Gonzalo used to leave a blob of putty on his guitar top for quick sticking on his Schertler Dyn (but last time I saw him he was using a mini-mic on the soundhole). You can roll the green stuff into a small length of thick string (about 2"long) on the back of your guitar, or any handy flat surface.
    Swang on,
  • WillHWillH New
    I'm just joining this thread, so I hope someone can help.

I need a good mic/pickup solution for my Gitane petite bouche (small hole) guitar. Between a click on mic and the Schertler discussed here, which would be the better option?

I've got a gig coming up in a few weeks and don't really know what to go for. I had pinned my hopes on a Stimer ST48, but my action is too low to use this pickup. What a shame. It would have been the perfect solution.

Thanks,

Will
  • You have to play with the placement of a clip on or stick on microphone to get a decent sound without feedback. That being said, I preferred the Ischell to any of the microphone options. In other posts, users have reported better sound if it is placed inside the guitar on a brace. I only have experience with placement on the top with these and it offers a good sound when placed correctly. The downside is that it could be prone to feedback.

The Krivo magnetic pickups have a lower profile and are a good option to consider as well. Again, different users have different experiences with single coil vs humbucker and the interaction with the amp you are using. I use one with a guitar where my Peche is too high and it has a decent sound through an AER. The pros are that it is highly feedback resistant and it is not as expensive as some of the other options. The con is that you have to work the EQ to get a good sound.