DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

Lissette Albertos gypsyjazznerd pauPOP Irish IrishBelgian kapete

Another chord to practice--1st position A minor

Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
edited March 2006 in Technique Posts: 70
My first impression on hearing about one-finger double stops was "that's impossible," but it didn't take too much practice to get fluent with them.

The very first double-stop chord I got down before moving on to the 6/9s was a simple 1st position A-minor:

X
X
2 (E)
2 (A)
1 (C)
X

(This is the fingering suggested throughout Unaccompanied Django.)

This and the first position E-minor are the simplest double-stop chords you can play. I used them to convince myself the technique was possible before moving on to fuller forms.[/i]

Comments

• KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    You know, for a moment there I thought you might be Patrick Saussois...
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ya man, we don't take too kindly to people who post their tabs upside down.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Personally I use double stops in some working (most obligated) situations but in this case and many others, why make a simple thing so difficoult? When I've seen the fingerings on Mike's book studying Improvisation#3B I thinked...
    :shock:
    W_H_Y
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    I had the same reaction when I first saw the double-stop fingerings for 1st position Am, E and Em in Unaccompanied. I stuck with these fingerings out of curiosity and to practice the technique for situations in which it is absolutely necessary. Now I find them relatively easy to play, so I'm sticking with them for the time being. But I agree that it seems like the slightly harder way to do things. For instance, I have a hard time using only two fingers in the beginning of "Echoes of Spain" where you slide back and forth between and E and an F.

This is a good question for Michael. What are the advantages (besides the pedagogical ones I cite above) of playing these simple chords with double-stops? Is it so that your ring finger is free?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    billmcn wrote:

This is a good question for Michael. What are the advantages (besides the pedagogical ones I cite above) of playing these simple chords with double-stops? Is it so that your ring finger is free?

Personally, I think the less fingers the better. I find it much easier to "grab" a chord quickly when there's only two fingers to worry about. Once you get used to the double stops, they work amazingly well!

But I also use conventional fingerings too...just depends on what I'm doing. for example, in one of the etudes I have the Am fingered convenionaly. Just works better in context. But I think most of Django's stuff is easier when double stopping.

Good luck!

'm
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    billmcn wrote:

Personally, I think the less fingers the better. I find it much easier to "grab" a chord quickly when there's only two fingers to worry about. Once you get used to the double stops, they work amazingly well!

But I also use conventional fingerings too...just depends on what I'm doing. for example, in one of the etudes I have the Am fingered convenionaly. Just works better in context. But I think most of Django's stuff is easier when double stopping.

Good luck!

'm
    OK I want to follow you, I'll restart trying this... :D