DjangoBooks.com

Excessive string wear

Recently, the D and G strings on my guitar have been breaking down very quickly. I get through a a gig (roughly 3 hours) or approximately 2 weeks before the silver plating wears off near the middle of the fretboard (5th through 10th frets). Is this common?

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    How do your frets look? Any burrs or sharp areas which would be causing friction?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Also, what brand of string are you using? I tried one brand once in which the G strings lost their silver wrap at the fret positions within a week or so, but no other brand of string did that on the very same guitar.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Argies and GHS, 11 gauge. The GHS went dead/wore down much quicker than the Argies....within 48 hours of me putting them on.

There are no sharp edges that I can perceive. Full disclosure: it's a Dell'Arte Pigalle
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Nope, the ones I had were neither of those.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles